Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Mucus color & sinus infection
joyful287 posted:
I have heard that a person can tell if they have a sinus infection based on the color of the mucus that comes out when blowing their nose. Is there any truth to this? And if it is true, what should the "healthy" mucus look like? Thanks.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
No...the color of mucous may or may not be clinically significant when making the diagnosis of sinusitis. This is only PART of the diagnostic criteria. Not all yellow...green....gray....or multi-colored mucous is "abnormal".

Healthy mucous tends to be clear..

Hexa8 replied to Rod_Moser_PA_PhD's response:
Hello I have experienced a mucus with turquoise tinge when blowing my nose it happened like 3 or 4 times now its really bright turquoise not blue cyanotic or anything like this even , am a medical student and all the mucus colors I have heard of was yellow, green, brown and of course bloody tinge . PS: I am having seasonal allergic rhinitis so could this be the cause ???

replied to Hexa8's response:
I can't say I have ever seen "bright turquoise" mucous, so I have no idea what would be causing it. I don't think it would be from allergic rhinitis. This mucous is typically clear and watery.

Hexa8 replied to Rod_Moser_PA_PhD's response:
Thanks for your reply , I know its weird that why I am concerned , its not all turquoise its clear but just a turquoise tinge appeared about 3 times ,so another question if u please could it be caused by a drug ? I am taking Orlistat not very often though and it is in bluish Turquoise capsules so could it be it ?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Hexa8's response:
Don't know....you can always call and talk the manufacturers of Orlistat to see if this has been a report event.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.