Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bloody nose when blowing nose
amiletello posted:
When I blow my nose after waking up in the morning, I am blowing red blood. When I blow my nose at any other time during the day, it is normal. This happens only with the 1st time that I blow my nose for the day. I did have a sinus infection about a month ago and this started probably about 2 weeks ago. I am not on any medicines at this time and the doctor gave me a steriod shot and put me on the Zpac for my sinus infection.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Bright red blood is most likely coming from your nose, but you would need to see a medical provider to make that determination. Put "nosebleed" in the WebMD search engine and you will find some helpful information.

Do you have a specific question?

deloresglover responded:
I have this exact same problem, but I haven't had a sinus infection in a couple of years. I have been blowing with this problem for about 3 weeks, but not every morning.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to deloresglover's response:
Do you have question about this, Delores? There are many different causes of epistaxis (bloody nose), including a dry environment, irritation from colds/flu/allergies, medications (like aspirin or other blood-thinners), and infections. If you have had this problem for three weeks, it would be in your best interest to address this problem with your medical provider -- someone who knows you, your medical history, and someone who can examine you.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.