Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question Regarding a Type of Flu that settles into a muscle
testcase11 posted:
Hello, I read somewhere that there exists a type of flu that can actually settle into a muscle or joint. The article referred to the flu as the Texas Flu. In some cases the article indicated that the pain in the joint can become severe enough to mimic , as an example, a disc problem in the back. I think I have actually experienced this currently. I havent felt very well lately and I have severe pain in my lower back on the left side. Typically I run outside all year, however I noticed that this type of syndrome has occured before in previous winters. The pain doesnt actually stop me from running. It actually feels better with more physical activity, or seemingly after the muscles warm up. In the past when I had this syndrone it seems to subside afte a couple of weeks. My question is can a cold or flu settle into a joint or muscle tissue and cuase stiffnes, soreness and pain

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I never heard of the Texas Flu....sorry.

Influenza is a systemic (all-body) disease, and yes, it can cause muscle aches (myalgia).

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.