Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can the flu cause pus pockets in your throat?
MomTo2SweetGirls posted:
We took our girls (ages 4 and 1) to the doctor today and both tested positive for the flu. The oldest has had strep twice since Christmas. My throat has been a little sore today when I swallow, and I just looked back there with a flashlight and can see a pus pocket. Is it possible to have pus pockets with the flu? Or is it more likely that I have picked up strep? I haven't had any fever yet, though I have had a slight cough. It's nothing deep or throaty, just more of a tickle cough.

We spent $150 today on Tamiflu alone, and neither one of our girls has been able to take it and keep it down. So if it is more than likely the flu, I really couldn't afford another $100 antiviral and would probably just wait it out. But if it sounds like it could be strep coming along then I would go get antibiotics to fight it. I know strep doesn't usually accompany coughing, but I am not really sure that the flu can cause pus pockets on a tonsil either. How could I tell the difference? Thanks in advance for any help!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I can't really see what you are describing as a pus pocket, but I can tell you that this is not a definitive sign of anything.... Strep tends to cause petechiae, which appear as bright red dots on the palate. There may be exudate (white stuff) on the tonsils, but this is not a definitive sign of Strep....influenza....or even a virus. Sometimes, this is just food material trapped in the little holes/crypts in your tonsils.

The bottom line: You can't diagnose influenza or even Strep soley by a pus pocket on the tonsils.

I am sorry that your children can't take the Tamiflu, so you will have to treat it the ol' fashion way -- wait it out. Make sure to look out for influenza complications, such as pneumonia..

For you, just gargle for now....and take some ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Take it a day at a time.

Are you going to get the flu vaccine next year?

MomTo2SweetGirls replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks so much for your response! To answer your question, yes, we will still continue to get the flu vaccine each year. We get the vaccine every year, and this is the first time any of us have come down with the flu. Their pediatrician said that since they were vaccinated they would probably have a much milder case, and this seems to be true for the most part. The oldest was only down for about 2 days though the baby is still sick. I am pretty sure I have the flu as well, but it seems to be pretty mild for the most part. Some fever, aches, sore throat, headache, and dry cough.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to MomTo2SweetGirls's response:
As you know, influenza is a specific type of a viral illness. There are hundreds of other viruses that can cause flu-like symptoms. The flu vaccine only works for the three TYPES of influenza viruses, and will not have any protective effect against all the others out there that can make us sick....very sick.

I hope that you, and your family, will be feeling better soon.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.