Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sudden swelling of uvula and tonsils, no pain present
twosparrows posted:
I'm a 53 year old grandma and am in the process of taking care of two of my grandsons (ages 2 & 4) while mom and dad go for an overnight to celebrate their anniversary.

I'm not allergic to anything, and have not been exposed to anything unusual.

About a hour ago it felt like there was a little hard thing stuck in my tonsil, so I went to the mirror to look at it. Couldn't see anything, no flashlight available. Within about 2 minutes, my uvula and tonsils swelled up to the point that when I talk my nasal passages are cut off. My uvula is swollen up to the size of my "pinkie" finger. There is no pain, and the only other thing I notice is a headache. I don't seem to have any fever.

This has never happened to me before. The swelling seems to be staying the same-I was worried that it would continue and close off my airway, so I was keeping the phone close just in case.

Any idea of what could cause this? I'm pretty sure it's not caused by dryness, there is plenty of moisture in the house, and it happened this afternoon, so it didn't have anything to do with sleep breathing (snoring, etc.)

One of the weirdest things I've had happen to me.

Take the Poll

Has anyone else experienced the above sudden swelling?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
When you have a potentially serious problem with your airway, I trust that you understand that I am not on-line 24/7, and that I have no way of "seeing" (examining) you over the Internet.

Tonsillar and uvular swelling can be sign of something serious, such as a peritonsillar abscess, or even something like an allergic response (even if you have no previously know allergies).

You may have to get someone to those grandkids while you go to the ER, or call their parents. There will be other anniversaries, but there may be only ONE grandmother.

twosparrows replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't see it until this morning. Made it through the night with no problems, but swelling is still as bad as yesterday, and now my throat is starting to hurt and starting to get a fever.

Done taking care of grandbabies, mom and dad are home, so will go to the doctor. I was wondering about infection.

I had gastric bypass in 2003, and have since lost almost all of my teeth. only have the front ones left, which are decaying quickly. One tooth is broken in half, which has left a hole next to the half of the tooth that came out, and food gets up in there. I get swelling in my gums and can feel the swelling in my lower sinus. Problem is, that I also have a wisdom tooth coming in sideways that needs to be cut out. My dentist would pull the rest of my teeth, but says I have to see an oral surgeon to cut out the wisdom tooth. No oral surgeons in our area will accept medicaid. I have to travel to North Dakota to see one who will, and appointments are months out. I'm in the process, but until then my teeth continue to cause infections-which may be the cause of this sudden swelling. I imagine the doctor will provide antibiotics to take care of this, so hopefully I can keep this under control until I can get rid of these teeth. By the way, most of the people I know who have had gastric bypass have lost their teeth. I guess even with the extra supplements we take, we still can't absorb enough nutrients to prevent things like loss of teeth.
A good day is any day you're alive!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to twosparrows's response:
Now that you are also having throat pain, it is all the more reason for you to be examined. If you need an antibiotic, I am sure your medical provider will see to it.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.