Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Use of Nasal Spray AND Nasal Spray in Netipot?
Earcrazy4 posted:
I have had blocked ears for two weeks. I am on my second round of antibiotics. I am also using Nasonex-two sprays in nostrils morning and night. I am using a netipot, using the earadicator method just with saline. Can I use the netipot with medication as well as spraying into my nose, or should I use just one or the other. I am in Canada, so the medications suggested with the earadicator are not available to me. The medications I have are Nasonex and Avamys (fluticasone furoate). I have no pain in my ears. Help Please! I am tired of feeling like I am underwater all the time!! B.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You most likely have a prolonged case of ETD - Eustachian tube dsyfunction. I know those symptoms are miserable.

Your Nasonex and the fluticasone are really the same thing - a steroid. You only need one of those, not both. And, yes, it is okay to use the spray and use the Neti Pot....IF it helps. Just don't use the Neti Pot too close to the time that you used the spray -- don't want to wash it out before it is absorbed. Separate it by an hour or so and you should be fine.

It is not possible to predict when your ears may re-open. Nasal steroids are not fast-acting and, like decongestants, they don't always help. You may want to get an appointment with your medical provider in about two weeks, just in case. You can always cancel the appointment if you are well by that time.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
One more thing....

Whty are you taking antibiotics? What was your diagnosis...what exactly is your doctor treating?

Earcrazy4 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
The doctor felt that I had fluid build up behind my ear drum caused by a sinus cold. So I guess they felt there was infection in there, and after the first dose of antibiotics was finished I felt there was absolutely no change, so he put me on another type. First type was zithromax and second is amoxil (?sp) The method of earadicating specifically says I should use 4-Way nasal spray. It is okay to use the Nasonex or Avamys? B.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Earcrazy4's response:
Maybe, but the fact that neither antibiotic helped does not support the doctor's guess that you fluid was an infection. Most of the time, ETD is a plumbing issue....not an infection issue.

I answered your Nasonex question already...here it is again

"Your Nasonex and the fluticasone are really the same thing - a steroid. You only need one of those, not both. And, yes, it is okay to use the spray and use the Neti Pot....IF it helps. Just don't use the Neti Pot too close to the time that you used the spray -- don't want to wash it out before it is absorbed. Separate it by an hour or so and you should be fine."

zaraste replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Dr. I just came across this issue. I also have alot of water behind my ears and a loss of hearing due to this. I just finished my second round of antibotics. I did have an ear infection that has cleared now and i am still using the fluticasone 2 sprays in each nostril once in the morning. I just started using the neti pot and it is not going through my nose like all the different videos i have seen of people using it. before i bought the neti pot i was worried about using it so i watched a few videos and for me almost no water moves through my nose and it sort of hurts when i do the neti pot. not a burning but a presure like pain. on scale of 1-10 its like a 3 so not bad. are there any medications that people sometimes use in the neti pot besides the packet. I was also put on prednisone for another issue and that dr is aware of my ear issue and she thought that it could help. what do you think else i could do to help make the water go away?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to zaraste's response:
I don't use or recommend the Neti Pot, including adding medications to it. If my patients use it and like it, that's fine, but I don't send people out to buy them.

A problem such as yours takes TIME to get better, so hang in there with your doctor's treatment regime and you should improve. There is no way to predict or even guess how long that might take. If middle ear fluid is persistent (more than three months or so), the ENT may suggest putting tubes to pull out the fluid and get your middle ear properly filled with normal-pressure air again.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.