Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extreme pain on ear cleaning
An_187769 posted:
I'm 63 and have been wearing hearing aids for about 3 years now for MINOR hearing loss. I now have a terrible wax build-up problem, but each time the nurse or audiologist tries to suction out the wax, I experience extreme sudden pain which makes me jump involuntarily - like having a tooth drilled and the nerve being hit! Each time, they just gave up after a little wax was removed. Last Friday I decided to give it a try again, but the audiologist was afreaid that damage would be done to my ear by my sudden movement. They just throw up their hands and tell me that it's unusual for so much pain to be experienced with a simple ear cleaning! I have always had very sensitive ears (wind causes severe pain). What should I do? I'm getting very frustrated as I cannot wear my hearing aids at all and I can hardly hear anything because my left ear is completely blocked. What could be the cause of this?

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_166843,

I just want to give you some WebMD information about earaches that you may find helpful:

Ear Problems and Injuries, Age 12 and Older, Topic Overview .

I'm sure Dr Moser will weigh in but remember that it's not possible for anyone to be diagnosed over the internet.

Take care!

- Annie
Check out Dr Moser's Family Webicine blog!

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.