Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Question about sore throat and mrsa exposure.
mom2mykidz posted:
My 7 year old daughter (diagnosis of mild hypotonic cp and asthma) developed a fever, headache and sore throat this morning. I picked her up at school with a temp of 99.9, by the time I got to the doctor's office her temp was 102. They swabbed her for strep (positive) and prescribed cephalexin.

Tonight my friend called and her daughter is being admitted to the hospital for treatment of MRSA. (She has JRA, and eczema. The eczema is so bad that she has scratched her skin raw). She and my daughter played together 5 days ago.

My doctor's office isn't open until Monday. Should I be worried about my daughter's sore throat? When we saw the doctor earlier I wasn't aware of the MRSA exposure.

Thanks!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi mom2mykidz,

You may want to think about a walk in medical clinic or an urgent care clinic if your regular doctor is not available rather than visit a hospital emergency room unless you feel that your child is in an emergency situation.

Nobody here can guess how ill your child is an you know your child better than anyone else.

You can read more about staph and MRSA by using the WebMD search engine. You may want to read about your child's medication cephalexin by clicking on the Find a Drug link.

Take care!

- Annie
Check out Dr Moser's Family Webicine blog!

mom2mykidz replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for your reply. I think I should have been more specific with my question! I'm wondering if a MRSA infection can present as a sore throat, or if it would only show up as a skin infection.

I called my insurance company nurse line, and they said that I should only worry if I notice that she has a wound that will not heal. They said that MRSA is everywhere and it's no big deal to be exposed. The only thing that confuses me is that my friends daughter is in isolation. Is that for her protection?

Thanks!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to mom2mykidz's response:
MRSA rarely shows up as a throat infection, but it is possible. Mostly, we see it starting on skin.

The child in isolation is for the protection of others.....

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.