Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
shingles and ear ache
An_187774 posted:
I finished my course of famciclovir, but have a persistent earache. (prior to treatment, and 2 days post treatment.) I'm used neomycin, polymyxin B sulfates ,hydrocortisone otic drops that I had for swimmers ear 1 day, 2x.
I was advised that I'll probably need to go back on the antiviral if the ear problem persists.

Any other ear specific solution? How long with the drops before a 2nd course of antiviral? Thanks.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I have some questions for you first....

1. Where were the shingles?

2. Did the doctor tell you that your ear pain was directly or indirectly caused by the shingles?

3. Why did you use the swimmer's ear drops? Were they specifically recommended by your doctor?

age72 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
The Dr does not know if the pain is direct, or indirect. But if it is direct I will suffer hearing loss.

Location: V1 branch of the 5th cranial nerve with possilbe extension to the ear--. L side of face and head.

The drops (I had them before for reacurring swimmers ear) were perscribed by the Dr who said no harm would come from using them.

The cornea was not involved. There are no visible lesions on the external ear.

My Dr is hesitant is to perscribe another course of antiviral since nothing is visable, and says I have an external otitis. Thanks for your response.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to age72's response:
Read about Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome....

There is really no problem remaining on the anti-viral meeds if your doctor agrees.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.