Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pimple in throat?
An_187778 posted:
Hi. So this past weekend I was sick with the 24 hour flu (body aches, fever), and I also had a sore throat. This week I've been having the fever off and on everyday. I've also noticed that pimples have began to form in the back of my throat right above my tonsils, possibly even on my tonsils as well. This makes it sore when I swallow. My fever is still off and on, if it makes a difference? I'm starting to really freak out...

By the way, is it alright to have a handfull of those white tonsil stones on your tonsils? Because I do...

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You don't get true pimples on your pharynx, but you can get many pimple-like growths, often ectopic lymph tissue. We call this "cobblestoning" and it is due to inflammation. Since I can't examine you, this is just a guess. I suggest that you see a medical provider so you can have it properly examined...not since in freaking out over this. Get it properly checked out.

Tonsils stones are common, and they can cause inflammation. They are more of an annoyance than a medical issue.

An_187779 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I called my doctor, but she only said to gargle with mouthwash, and warm water with salt. I'll try that tonight.
I'm hoping my throat will be back to normal in a week...It's already been one week though. How long do those bumps normally last?

As of now, I have a 101.3 fever, my doctor said to stay hydrated. Is there anything else I can do?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to An_187779's response:
Since I have no way of knowing the true nature of your "bumps", there is really no way for me to determine how long they might last.

Please rely on your doctor's advice for patient-specific treatment suggestions. I agree with staying hydrated. Get some additional rest.

maka1011 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Alright, thank you very much for your help!

Helpful Tips

help
An_251960 pls hv u found a solution? Am currently passing 2thru d same problem. pls help. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.