Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
tonsils taken out and holes where they were
jlgiese posted:
I am 33 and had tonsils removed one week ago. It still hurts to eat anything and where my huge tonsils were are large holes. Food gets caught in them and i either do not eat or I have to take a swab and dig it out which is painful and I choke. Will these holes fill in? Has anyone had this when yours came out?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You are one week post-op. I am sure things will improve over time. I have no way of examining you over the Internet to comment on these residual holes, nor do I know the specific surgical procedured done by your ENT, so it would also be a good idea to address this concern to the one the did the surgery.

rohvannyn responded:
Good idea to check with your doc, but it reminds me of when I had my tooth pulled and had a huge gaping hole there, which caught food and debris and small animals and whatnot. But nature usually abhors a vacuum, especially in the soft tissues of the mouth, and that huge hole got smaller and smaller and now is completely closed.

Of course, nobody but your doctor can tell for sure exactly what will happen to your tonsil holes, but I would say that it's likely they would fill in relatively quickly, or at least get to a point where they don't trap food as much. Meantime, good luck with that liquid diet and with getting in touch with the doc.

Saulius replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Hallo,

I am 13 days after tonsils removal. After operation I had 39 C temperature, uvula edema, some hawk with blood. Now it looks that everything is going better, temperature keeps in 36.7-37.4 C range, but the problem is, that I see the hole in the tonsils holes. I can send the photo. I don't know if it is normal.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Saulius's response:
I cannot really make a patient-specific comment by a photograph...I am sorry. You would need to see the ENT -- the person who did the surgery -- in order to know if this was "normal". There are many different ways to remove tonsils.....

Janeen1234 responded:
I had mine removed at 18. I will remember the pain and the looonnnng recovery period. I also had the holes for awhile. They do get better but there is a dip still where my tonsils are. Food does not get stuck in it anymore.

jls9595 responded:
I am in the exact same situation. I have no idea what method my ENT used to perform my tonsillectomy but it has been very painful. I am one week post-op and I am also 33 years old. I have large indentations where the tonsils were. Food is getting caught in them and it is very difficult to keep clean. I have been irrigating them with a syringe of water but they are still lined with white, I'm assuming it's granulation tissue. The pain is getting a little better but it is very annoying, just part of it I guess. I hope as it continues to heal it will catch food less and less.

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.