Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sinus Drainage
seagapomt posted:
Hello, I'm new to the boards and have a problem that I'd like to hear some ideas on.

I recently had another sinus infection, the 3rd this winter, and just finished an RX for zithromax (sp). Last night out of the blue my sinuses started to drain down the back of my throat. It is an almost continual drainage that sort of pools at the back of my throat. It is thin and has a salty taste and because it pools back there I have to swallow constantly or cough. I don't have any other symptoms as the sinuses seem clear and I'm not stuffy.
It's an uncomfortable feeling and would like any ideas on what is causing it and how to get rid of it! Thanks!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
There are MANY things that can cause sinusitis, but unfortunately, I have no way of detemining over the Internet what may be causing YOUR sinus problems.

A couple of comments....

1. Allergies must be considered as a contributing factor, as well as exposure to viral and bacterial pathogens. Since I do not know your job, etc., I can tell you that people who get ill often are often exposed to other people (especially kids).

2. Have you ever seen an ENT or at least, had a CT scan of your sinuses? Sinusitis is NOT an easy problem to cure, and an isolated course of Zithromax is often worthless in my opinion, for many people. As a sinusitis-sufferer myself, I once had to remain on a much stronger antibiotic for three MONTHS! So, you may need to be treated more aggressively.

My suggestion? Get referred to an ENT.

seagapomt replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I was on Augmentin (sp) for the first two infections before the Zithromax which seemed to clear it up. Then this drainage started 2 days ago. I'm a housewife with no children living at home but am out occasionally and could have been exposed to something. I'll call my physician and see about the CT scan and see what he says. Thanks for your thoughts.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to seagapomt's response:
Or, you can see the ENT and let him/her decide if at CT is necessary.

In my opinion, high-dose Augmentin is considerably more effective for sinusitis than Zithromax.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.