Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Static in ear during loud noises.
scotty1time posted:
Hello,
It seems that sound of certain frequencies and volumes makes my left ear "overload". I hear a static or crackling type sound. It has happened for years and only happens during instances of hearing loud enough noise. There is no pain, it's just a little annoying.

Some examples of when it happens: On the rare occasion that I go to a concert. At any event with a large enough crowd when the crowd cheers loudly. Sometimes at a movie theater (if it is loud enough) during explosions or action scenes. It really never happens outside of these places.

I don't really have any other ear symptoms outside of this. In searching the internet I often come across people describing static in their ear as more of a nagging thing that's happening regardless of if they are hearing other noise. This only happens to me when I hear loud noise and only in the left ear. It's like an overloaded speaker crackling. I had ear infections maybe once or twice a year as a kid, seemingly from frequent swimming. Although as an adult I've not had an ear infection that I can remember, even when frequently swimming.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Everyone's response to an acoustic event is different. Some will get tinnitus (ringing). Some people, surprisingly, do not have any problems in loud situations, whereas some, like you, will have a response. In your case, it is static, but this may just be a variation of tinnitus. Not all forms of tinnitis is ringing...some people will have humming, buzzing, hissing, etc.

Knowing that your ears are sensitive, you must be proactive and have ear protection with you.

I was at the movies over the weekend, and the previews were so loud that I had to stuff tissues in my ears. I did make a complaint to the theater manager.

hleemac replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I experience a crackling or static sound in both ears when I am exposed to loud noises. It is worse, and even painful, in my right ear. I am a vocalist and have to be in many loud ensembles, not to mention my own practice can hurt. This is more than an annoyance for me. Can anything be done to stop this?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to hleemac's response:
Yes...you can try and avoid those loud noises that are causing the painful symptoms. You may have to find some musician earplugs to cut down on the volume.

Have you seen an ENT and audiologist so that you can be properly examined and diagnosed?

ps653 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I have had exact problem for at least 5 years. Certain noises at certain levels cause a static-like sound and I can FEEL a sensation in my ear like a spasm.

Went to the ENT and he said it was a muscle spasm of the tiny muscles in the ear. He said that these things sometimes just 'go away.' Thanks a lot Doc.

I am not exactly sure what the name of this is...does anyone know?...and what might help or cure it?

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.