Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Allergies and a cold at the same time????
rebeccasmom2 posted:
Is it possible to have problems with hayfever while you have a cold?If so,how do you treat it?I'm going nuts here!
Symptoms:
Nasal congestion
Itchy throat
productive cough
Itchy eyes (driving me nuts too)
body aches
general tiredness

Treating with Allegra D and Ricola cough drops cherry and honey drops
(I have asthma)

rohvannyn responded:
Yep, you can have a cold and allergies at the same time. I can tell you right now that the best way to get accurate information is to get examined, but yes, you can have allergies and a cold and even asthma all at once.

Home remedies while waiting for the doc include what you are already doing, but you may want to also try some nasal irrigation as well as a humidifier. Drink lots of fluids, try to stay away from your allergy triggers, gets lots of nutrients, and rest when you can.

There are lots of articles on WebMd about managing colds and allergies.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I agree with your other poster.....there are no rules in medicine that state a person can only have ONE illness or condition at a time.

You can definitely have a cold and allergy. As a matter of fact, I have both right now.

Colds typically last a week. Allergies can last a "season", depending on what you are allergic to. Neither one can be cured, but you can control the symptoms.

What you are taking now is just fine....

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.