Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
pimple on arch above tonsil
nic14120 posted:
A few months ago I noticed this small pimple like spot above my right tonsil, on the arch above the tonsil. It looks like there are prongs connecting to it, and it is the same color as my throat. I feel no pain, and it has not grown in size over this time. I asked my internest to look at it and said he first could not see anything, then said it looks like it is part of my tonsil. I have never had this before up until a few months ago. I am not sure if oral sex could create such a thing, but I am married and no STD for either of us. I am curious if this sounds serious like throat cancer. I am 33 yrs old, non smoker as well. Not sure if I should go seek out a second opinion?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
See an ENT for that second opinion - someone with more experience in this area. Since I have no way of examining you first-hand, I would not be able to comment on the nature of this "pimple".

nic14120 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I will call tomorrow to get an appt. I am quite scared bc I cant find pics online of anyone having this. A lot talks about sores in throat that dont heal after two weeks are cancer signs!! Any reassurance? could someone have a sore in their throat that is just there? I found one pic under tonsilitis. My tonsils are no where looking like these, in this pic i see a mark above the tonsil with a white spec. Mine is in that location, except mine is skin colored only, round, and the same size since noticed about 4 months ago. I know you cant diagnose me, but im ver fearful. I just gave bith to my 2nd 8 wks ago and very scared of what this could be

forgot to add the link:

http://trytostayhealthy.blogspot.com/2010/12/tonsillitis.html

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to nic14120's response:
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but not in the world of medicine. Once you see the ENT, you will hopefully have your definitive answer, even if you need a biopsy. I cannot blindly reassure you, but statistics are on your side.

http://www.medhelp.org/photos/show/4555811?type=posts

I found a pic of exactly what the "pimple" looks like It;s the clear looking bump, thats what I have right above the tonsil. I have an appt tomorrow but i am so scared!!!!

Don't be concerned.....you will most likely have your answer tomorrow after your doctor completes his examination (a photo is still not going to provider the answer!).

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I did look at this photo that appears to be NORMAL ectopic lymph tissue (the tonsils and lymph nodes are the same tissue). We often call these bumps (they are not pimples) cobblestones. They are quite common, often seen in people with allergies or other types of throat irriations.

Thank you!!! Is it common for these things to stick around for months and months?

Yes. Let me know what your doctor has to say about them....

You were correct, he at first didnt see it, needed a light. He said it was lymphatic tissue that is not cancer, that will most likely not go away. He said i had many stones, so he recommended possibly removing my tonsils, would you at 32?

Removing the tonsils will remove the source of the stones, but that is a BIG step....a definitive step. Only you can make that decision to remove the tonsils for this sole reason. Many medical insurances will not approve surgery for this reason, but some will. Are you having a lot of problems with tonsil stones (tonsilliths)?

Now...don't you feel better knowing you do not have anything serious going on in your throat?

Yes, I do feel a lot better!! I said everything online suggests cancer, he laughed and said you do not have cancer, if you want to come back in a few months for me to look at it again to make you feel better, I will. I thought that was nice, but trust that this is all it is and nothing to be concerned about. I did feel a ton better when you let me know what you thought it could be, thank you for all your time!!

As for the tonsils, no, they really don't bother me. I don't normally get sick often or sore throats. I was sick only 1x during my whole pregnancy, when women tend to get sick more often. I am very thankful for that!! I am nervous to jump into a surgery for the stones, but he said with age they will get worse and cause hallitosis, would you agree? What else could it cause? I picked up Cipicol mouthwash that I started to use.

I suspect that you have had cryptic tonsils with tonsilliths for some time now. I don't think that anyone can really predict that things will get worse. Tonsilliths can be managed by physically dislodging those stones and gargling regularly (even with water or mild salt water) to prevent the formation of new ones. They are not dangerous, as you know, and the tonsils do not necessarily need to be removed for this reason. ENTs like to do surgery, so some just look for things to cut out!

I knew in my heart that you did not have cancer, but it is very important to have that hands-on reassurance because you were so worried. Now you can relax and play with your new baby.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.