Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    I think I may have a staph infection in my tongue.
    An_187794 posted:
    What type of doctor would I see if I thought I had a staph infection in my tongue? An ENT, Infectious Disease or Dentist? I had an allergic reaction and my tongue swelled for 6 months and my teeth would rest oon my tongue, it is there that it became red and swollen. Now I feel like I have a blister in my mouth and alot of edema in my tongue. I also have a terrible taste in my mouth. I have been tested negative for Strept. Would a throat culture show a staph infection? My Internist is stumped as well as my Dentist. Both of my doctors said you cannot culture a tongue due to normal flora, so what diagnotic test can you perform to determine if you have a staph infection in your tongue?
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
    It is possible to culture the tongue, but it is not very accurate. An ENT can do a tiny biopsy and send it to a pathologist, so this would be a good choice of specialist.

    I can't say that I have ever managed a patient with a Staph infection exclusively on the tongue.
    An_187795 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    Thank you. I have an appointment with an ENT Wednesday.
    Is it possible to have an isolated area of the tongue swell due to an allergic reaction?
    Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to An_187795's response:
    I guess that anything is possible, but that would be unlikely.
    RocaRose replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
    Meet next person with Staph Infection on tongue. Try a dentist.

    Helpful Tips

    Help me some one please i need help with my son
    My son is 10 months old and when he was a month he had hopping cough and i took him to the doctors 3 times and they didnt pick up on it so ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Focus on Flu

    Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.