Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dry throat, swollen tonsils, headache in the morning?
Iralyn posted:
Hi, I initially posted this in the Welcome Community, but I think maybe it's more appropriate here. Sorry for the double post.

I'm a 21 year old female. Every morning I wake up with a parched throat, swollen throbbing tonsils (I think that's what they are - they're the two pulsing things at either side of my neck), and a minor headache. I'd feel really thirsty and drink 2-3 large glasses of water right away. An hour or two after waking up, the symptoms disappear and I feel fine for the rest of the day. The next morning it starts again.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there any way to stop this happening? It's not particularly painful, but it is annoying and ruins my mornings.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You should be concerned since this is not really normal, so it would be advisable for you to see a medical provider so you can be properly examined, diagnosed, and treated. Unfortunately, these are three things that I cannot do over the Internet.

Are you congested to the point that you are breathing through your mouth at night? If you mouth-breathe, it will definitely dry out your throat. Humidify your sleeping environment (cool mist humidifier), drink lots of water, and use some saline nasal spray in your nose before going to bed.

Iralyn replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for the reply! I rarely breathe through my mouth in bed. But I do use a heater at night during the winter, which probably contributed to the dryness. I'll try your suggestions first, and go to my doctor if things haven't improved. (I've already seen him twice this year for two different things; if I keep turning up at his office he's going to think I'm paranoid :x )

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Iralyn's response:
NO....not paranoid. He gets paid for those visits, so don't worry about it. The most important thing is that you find a reason for your symptoms, and a solution.

Let me know if I can help....

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.