Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Various unexplained symptoms (Sores in nose, ear pain, eye pain)
whittingtonv posted:
I've had sores in my nose off and on for the past few months. Usually right on the inside of the nostril. There have been two occasions where I've woken up with a swollen right lower eyelid that is very sore and tender to the touch. No stye or anything like that, just sore, red and swollen. The second time I had the eye irritation was just two days ago. It has gone away, but now I'm having left ear pain right at the start of the ear canal.

I don't know if these symptoms are related, but a few people have told me that I might have a staph infection called impetigo. They think that's what it is since I have the recurring nose sores. Since none of these people are doctors, I wanted to see if I could get one's opinion before I go see my doctor.

Thanks in advance.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Impetigo can be caused by Staph or Strep, but I can tell you that Staph infections can be common inside the nose. While it may not be impetigo, it could be folliculitis (an infection of one of the nasal hair follicles). Either way, this can be treated, once you are properly examined and diagnosed. Oral antibiotics are typically used when it is severe. The use of topical antibiotics, like Bactroban (mupiricin) is often prescribed as well.

The ear pain and eye problem would need to be addressed individually by your doctor, since this is not very likely to be related.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.