Skip to content
Black tonsil???? Please help!!!
studentessa posted:
I've been running a low grade fever since Monday, along with a sore throat. Yesterday I went to doctor, who makde strep screening test - was negative. He told me that it is "only a viral infection" so he can't prescibe me any medicines. I'm student from Poland and I've been studying in Sweden only for few weeks - I don't know if it is normal here but he didn't even examine me. He told me only to stay in bed. But I feel really bad - both my tonslis are huge and covered with white and grey goo, and so is the back of my throat. What is more one of my tonsils has a black spot. I can't fall asleep because of huge pain, and I'm having trouble staying hydrated it hurt so bad to swallow. And this horibble bad breath... Can I take any medicines to at least stop the pain???? I made a photo of my tonsils - but I'm not sure is it possible to send them to you??? I don't really know what should I do.... Please help me....

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
If that doctor didn't examine you...you need to see another. As much as I would like to have you post a photograph, a picture is really not going to help. Unfortuatnely, I have no way of diagnosing or treating you via the Internet. I would need to know your complete medical history (I don't even know your age)and examine you first hand. A diagnosis takes more than just a picture....I am sorry.

You are describing exudative tonsils....it could be mononucleosis or any number of tonsillar infections. I would need to examine the "black spot" to comment, but this could be a hemorrhage site (just a guess).

You need to see another medical provider -- one who will examine you and run a few diagnostic tests. Yes, there are medications for pain, but right now, you need to have a definitive diagnosis.

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.