Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ears still ringing for months
ringinman posted:
Well I cut some vinyl with a circular saw, and it was loud shortly after work my ears where ringing and rang really bad for 4 days after. Well on the 6th or 7th day after cutting the vinyl I went to an ENT and all checked out fine with above average hearing. After the 2nd week the ring had gone away. Then I cut the grass aroung the house and my ears rang for 2 more days then went away for 2 more weeks. Well now the ringing is back and I have been dealing with it for the past month and a half. It has been 2 month since I cut the vinyl.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You need to wear some good ear protection during those loud activities my friend. When you have tinnitus, or the tendency to get tinnitus, your ears are MORE sensitive to noises that you may have once tolerated.

Tinnitus due to acoustic trauma can be self-limiting -- lasting only a few days -- to the noise causing permanent damage, in which case, the tinnitus could last forever. I cannot imagine that yours will fall into this last category, but please be warned....YOU MUST WEAR EAR PROTECTION FROM NOW ON. There is really nothing you can do to speed up this process, so hang in there an hope that this will abate shortly.

ringinman replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Well I have been around loud machines for over 12 years like lawn mowers, trimmer, and leaf blows.With out hearing protection I know that helps. When I told the doctor that his eyes got big and he said it is amazing that you can hear this good. How long do you think the ringing may last? And for the last few months I have been wearing ear plugs. And do you think my ring is neurological or mechanical?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to ringinman's response:
More likely to be inner ear....acoustic damage (over time) can destroy sensitive nerve cells that transmit sound impulses to the brain. Acoustic damage can be sudden (like a blast) or accumulative (like your years of noise exposure, not uncommon in certain jobs).

There is absolutely no way...other than time...to determine if your tinnitus and/or hearing loss is permanent. Sadly, many times it is. My own tinnitus started over a decade ago after a simple viral infection that decided my inner ear was a good place to lay havoc. I have had it every since....

At this point...you have tinnitus. How long would be anyone's guess. Just cope the best that you can, keep working with your ENT on the various ways of masking the sounds, or trying medications that may reduce any growing obcession with this annoying, aberrant noise.

It is truly sad when these events occur. People lose arms in accidents, go blind, have strokes and lose mobility. At least we tinnitus, we can learn to adapt.We must since medical science has very little options of a cure, and only limited options for treatment. At this point, you may be premature in thinking your tinnitis is permanent, since the body doesn't really like it either and will work in the background trying to repair the damage if it can.

You still have a good chance of recovering. By the way, how OLD are you?

I am 24 years old. I also hear the ring more so when I am at home. That is with all the electronic stuff off. I do have older TV uints, so they might put out a HF sound that I can hear now even so they are turned off. The ringing isn't that bad but it is there mostly at night but some times I can tune it out listening to the crickets outside and other times I can not tune it out.

What are your thoughts on the math 1 gene? and stem cells?

Not that I would go through gene therapy but it is an interesting topic

I don't have any comments on using gene and stem cell therapy....those treatments are just too new. Sorry.

All of us with tinnitus hear it more when things are quiet (usually at home),. When I am busy at work, I don't have time to pay attention to it. My masking noise is really the television, and I read with it playing in the background. Eventually, I will just fall asleep....

Yesterday I was watching the TV for about 3 hours then all of the sudden my ears started ringing louder, it was like someone scratching a chalkboard. Then it slow went away after a miniute or so. So I left the room and went to get something to eat. The ring was now louder and I did not rest to well last night. Ever thing was good all day till I turned on the TV.

Unfortunately, tinnitus does wax and wane from time to time. Hopefully, it will quiet down to its prior level today.

I don't know if it was related to the TV or just a coincidence.

I have also narrow down the days to june 3 was the start about june 20th was when I cut the grass then July 4th is when it started back up. I wasn't around fireworks but I has been a ring from that point.

I am starting to realize that the ring my be here to stay. I just find it so odd that it went away and has came back. Thank you for your opinion. It really means alot to me.

Your welcome. Actually, the fact that your tinnitus does go away...even a for little while...is encouraging. Mine never went away. I would love to have a hour without it......

Well the good news is I can sleep good even so my ears still ring but any way I went to a chiropractor he said my C1 and C2 has shifted well he tried to align me so 4 days later I went back and he got me a little bit closer then a day later my jaw felt stiff so i wiggle it around a bit and it was clicking then it popped loudly on one side then the other side shortly after. Well it felt better the next day and still two weeks later it has not squicked or clicked, I feel better. And last week I went to see an ENT and he questioned me, do to the fact the ringing had went away and came back seemed quite odd, then he ask me if a clench my teeth I replied yes I do. Then he put his fingers where my jaw is hinged at and said to open and close the he ask if I had felt any pain I said a little. Then he checked my teeth and said they look fine. His conclusion was that I could have TMJ.

Well after thinking about it for week a thought just popped in my head yesterday. My teeth seem to hurt could it be that my wisdom teeth are ready grow.

All in all do you think that me wisdom teeth could be the cause of my ears ringing? and also my top two wisdon teeth are impacted, and the pain is on the back, top, left side of my mouth, also the ringing seems louder in my left ear as well.

And thany you once again for any advice.

TMJ and problems with the third molar can certainly cause ear pain and is on the list of possible causes of tinnitus, however, there is really no way for me to know if either one (or both) is associated with YOUR tinnitus. It is time for you to see a dentist --- one that specializes in TMJ disorders, not a general dentist --- so that you can have this properly assessed.

I don't believe that any presumed shift in C1 or C2 has anything to do with what you are experiencing. I don't think that "shift" as your chiropractor claimed.

Yep it is time to see dentist and thanks for telling about one that should specialize with TMJ. My teeth hurt from the canines back on the left top side. It is funny thou seeing as how when I was younger I had 20 teeth pulled. I just hope they are just as easily extracted as those other ones. Wish me luck and thanks again.

I sure hope this does the trick. Whether it is the sole cause of your tinnitus or not, it does seem that you have TMJ symptoms.

Hello again well today I was using a nailgun and it fired off really loud which made my ears ring for a few seconds. I just had to nail up the the last board and I had forgot my earplugs. Well I seemed to be cooping well with the ringing but now it is a tad louder and I was courious if it will calm back down.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.