Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Red Uvula No Pain Irratated Red Throat
Anon_235476 posted:
I have had a red uvula, irratated throat (red) but no pain since the middle of June. I have had two strep tests, one throat culture, 6 xrays of neck and chest, all negative. The only time I feel good is when I am eating (the pain subsides while I eat), which is so different from everyone else's story I have read online. I do smoke lightly (5-6 cigarettes a day). The ENT poked my throat and said it was chronic pharangytis and gave me some "magic mouthwash" of Qdryl-Hydrocortisone-NYStatin. Been thru two bottles but hasn't helped at all. Background on my uvula: I was a cleft pallet baby, they used skin in my throat to make a uvula when I was two. It is a small uvula, round and not longated. One doctor even asked who cut my uvula off. I had to laugh as that is just the way it is, small and round. The Dentist thought he saw two small white spots on it last week, but by the time I got home and checked they were no longer there. Wierd to say the least. I am just so tired of the feeling of irratation and not getting any better. I've looked up thyroidism, graves disease, red uvula, and nothing seems to fit my problem. My Dentists said I should consult another ENT if the last one just poked my throat and said chronic pharangytis without further checking. I am a teacher and speak a lot, however during the period that this has come about I have taught very little and have not over used my voice at all. Any thoughts on why my uvula stays red and irratated without pain? Why when I eat it actually makes my throat feel better? I'm at a loss. I admit quitting smoking totally may help, and I have tried and tried. Getting down from over a 1/2 pack a day to 4 or 5 is a real feat. I am working on quitting all together and am using the commit lozenge to help. I've used them before and know that commits wouldn't cause this. I thought a tomato allergy as I've been gardening, and every since I have been picking tomatos and eating them, and canning them I have had this irratation in throat, but I can't be sure. Any ideas would be helpful. Also today it seems the right side of throat has begun to be a bit sore. First soreness I have had. Thank you for any thoughts.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
As much as I would like to offer you some profound insight, to do so blindly -- without the advantages of examining your throat first-hand ---would be nearly impossible. You have seen an ENT, but I agree with your dentist....a second ENT opinion is in order. Someone really needs to take the time to get the history, do a careful examination, or even biopsy this problematic uvula so you can have a definitive answer....and peace of mind.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.