Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sinus Infection From Pool
bmkolo posted:
Our condo's board and mgmt. company hid the fact our poll was ordered closed by Health Dept. in Jan. 2011. Only thing I knew that one of the problems was low PH. Again, 8/5/11, Health Dept ordered us to close our pool due the the same problems. No one from our Board or Mgmg. Company did anything from Jan 2011 to 8/5 to address the problem, notifiy residents, ect. I am prone to sinus infections, around 8/27, I went into the pool. I never go under water, avoid getting my ears, head face wet and watch out for "splashes". I was accidentally splashed in the face. Pool shower was not working, & could not get into the bathroom to rinse my face. My skin felt kind of sratchy & slimely at same time. Went home, flushed sinus, and took a shower. 8/2 I started feeling crummy; 8/3 worse, called PCP, who saw me next day. He put me on agmentum 2x day for 10 days. 8/9, starting coughing, "unproductively", 8/11 PCP called in cough med. Hydromet. I am not feeling better, and I am very tired all the time. My upper chest kind of feels heavy. Could I have contracted a sinus or other type of infection from our low PH (and who knows what else) pool. Thanks

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Anything is possible... An unbalanced pool could harbor disease-causing pathogen, but without seeing the results of those water tests, I dont really have any information to even speculate. The low pH alone is not the cause, but it could theoretically be contributory.

Many things, including colds, can cause sinusitis, so proving the pool as the sole culprit would be next to impossible.

bmkolo replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you very much!

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.