Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DO I HAVE THROAT CANCER?
screw_face posted:
am 22 years old and started smoking cigarettes mid july-august of last year. i stopped for a month between november and december and started again. over the last week, my throat has begun to feel different. i felt the need to swallow more often and it sometimes felt awkward when i swallowed. on examining my throat in the mirror, i noticed white spots near where the roof of my mouth meets my throat. the skin/flesh in the back of my throat also appeared damaged. i also noticed that there is a slight bulg on the left side of my neck in the region where i think my lymph nodes are. i have been reading online and have learned that these are symptoms of throat cancer. one night this week while driving, i was drinking some 100% Juice Ruby Red Grapefruit cranberry juice and got a very awkward feeling/sensation in my throat and mouth. is it that the antioxidants in the drink were having an effect on the damaged cells in my throat ( i kno it cant cure cancer). my grandfather on my mother's side died of cancer of the sinus by the way. is it possible that at the age of 22 and after smoking for just 6 months, that i could develop throat cancer. i am small in body and not of the best dental health (could this increase the chances of me gettin throat cancer) i am going to the doctor in the morning but PLEASE RESPOND AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. PLEASE!!!!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I have absolultely no way of determining if you have throat cancer via the Internet. I do not know anything about you, your complete medical history, or have any way of examining you -- all essential components to make a diagnosis. I know you are worried, but you will need to wait until you see your medical provider so you can be properly examined...and diagnosed.

Statistically, it would not be very likely that you would have throat cancer at age 22. but with your family history, I am at a loss as to WHY you decided to start smoking knowing the risks you would be taking. Hopefully, you will stop again...for good this time.

screw_face responded:
well doc, i wen to a general practitioner, it was sunday morning and there was no one else, and she said i just have a bacterial infection of my left tonsil. she recommended that i stop smoking, as expected (and i will), and prescribed xorimax for my throat and tonsils and cataflam. i'm a bit skeptical because she did not take a throat swab to identify the type of microorganism that was causing the infection. she did however point out that it is unlikely that i could have cancer due to my age and due to the fact that i havent been coughing up blood and that i havent lost any weight. i'm still a bit worried because last night the area around my right lymph node on the back of my neck got swollen. i'll keep u posted if anything else strange happens. thanks doc

screw_face responded:
i'm still having problems as a result of the issues with my throat. The last time i wrote u, i told you that my doctor prescribe an antiobiotic called xorimax. It cleared up the lump in my throat but it had a horrible side effect which was the inflammation of the back of my throat so after 2 or 3 days and a visit to my doctor, my doctor told me to stop taking it because it was a high dosage (500mg). after a while my throat got better and stupid me went and smoked again. after i was finished and was on my way home, my throat felt dry but when i tried to swallow i realised that my throat was acting up and it felt like area right behind my tongue was deteriorating. since then my throat has not been the same. the left side of my neck has been puffy since then and my throat has been really sensitive to any kind of smoke. even car exhaust. even when i drink alcohol or sodas my throat begins to feel weird. the puffiness on my neck feels like it was spread to just below my left ear. just last night when i was rubbing the puffy side of my neck, my throat started to act up. i went to a doctor and all he said was that i need some difflam lozenges and he also said that my neck was NOT puffy. i also sometimes feel been along my neck when i breathe but that is only temporary. it is not a constant feeling. when i swallow food and water, i feel like their is a slight obstruction but its not big enough to prevent me from swallowing but i find that food and water sometimes get stuck their. i intend to go and see a better doctor but do you have an idea what could be causing all of this. please . thank you

screw_face responded:
an abcess just formed in mouth doc. juss adding to wat i already told u

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
Thanks for the update....

You are sure having the issues, so I trust that your ENT is taking your symptoms seriously and doing the properly diagnostic tests.

A question: What part of the world do you live?

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.