Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Foul smell from nose
princesszara posted:
My boyfriend was really sick last year with a cold and I think a sinus infection. After he got better, his nose gave off a foul smell when he was breathing. It was so strong that if you were in a small space with him, you could smell it. His nose still gives off that smell sometimes, especially when he sucks air through his nose fast as if he were swallowing snot. It really grosses me out and he refuses to see a doctor about it (like he does every time he is sick). It's a hard smell to describe. It reminds me of when I have a cold with a lot of snot, I get a smell in my nose that confirms that I'm sick. It's like that to me only really strong. I know that it's not a normal thing and I want to make sure he won't have health issues from it. If anyone knows what this is and has some advice about it, I would really appreciate it!!! Thank you!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Men (boys?) can be very stubborn, but the ONLY way that your stinky boyfriend can be properly diagnosed (and treated) is for him to see a medical provider. There is really no way for me or any medical provider to blindly do this over the Internet. As much as I would like to help you (and him), these are things that I cannot do across cyberspace.

Be assertive and MAKE him see a medical provider. You can do it.....

princesszara replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks anyway! I figured he would need to go to the doctor to be diagnosed. I thought that since he is so stubborn I could maybe find out the information myself. Have you ever seen any patients with something similar to this? Thank you for the encouragement. I will try my best to convince him to see a doctor.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to princesszara's response:
Chronic sinus infection, nasal polyps, foreign bodies inside the nose, and even dental problems can create a foul smell issue. I cannot imagine that he would not want to solve this embarrassing problem. I am sure his love life will improve.....

Thank you so much for your advice! I agree that he should want to solve this problem. I told him it grosses me out and maybe other people that talk to him. He needs to get to the dentist too. I have been bugging him about that too. He has never had his teeth cleaned by a hygenist and doesn't take care of his teeth very well. I have trouble kissing him sometimes and I even tell him he needs to brush his teeth before he kisses me. I know it sounds pathetic because I am a very clean person and he isn't. I know his love life will improve if he takes care of his nose and teeth!

You clearly care about him, but now you have to get him to care enough about himself and what others see (and smell!) to do something about it.

Start with the dentist and hygenist visit. Go with him for "moral support", but mostly to (a) make sure he goes, and (b) to make sure the dentist/hygentist is aware of the magnitude of this problem. Once this has been done and the odor issue has not improved, then it is off to the ENT.

Thanks again! I will let you know if I get him to the doctor in the near future. Money is a bit of an issue right now, so it might still be awhile before he can go. Btw, I have never talked to a doctor online and it's really neat and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to give your advice!

You are very welcome and keep working to get this problem solved for him. Does he have a job that offers insurance?

No he doen't have a job right now. It will be awhile before he has the money to go to the dentist. I will try my best to get him to take care of himself. I will get back to you if we find out what the cause was for your own knowledge.

I don't know where you live, but many dental schools, dental hygienist programs offer some free care, if you allow a supervised student to do the care.

sharon009 responded:
Hi Zara,
Is your problem resolved?
I think I found the cure. It is saffron Omega 3 fatty acid.
Ask your boyfriend to drink hot water with saffrom(5-6 stigmas enough) on empty stomach( no milk/no wheat/no meat for one week) two times( before breakfast and dinner).
And he should also take omega 3 capsules 3 times/day.
Let me know how you feel after a week?

_Sharon

redmango responded:
TRY THIS IT WORKS! Used it twice a day to start with my regular oral hygiene. I got this thread from someone on another site. (Antibiotics makes the issue worse, It kills all bacteria both good and bad and the bad smelly bacteria tends to grow back faster than the good bacteria.)[br>[br>I prayed to GOD in Jesus Christ's name about this whole ordeal that I've been going through. This wasn't the first time I prayed, but when I did pray"026 a temporary solution was received"026 I guess it depends on how and for what I pray for; at least that's how I saw it. The next time I prayed I made sure I was specific and included as many details to the problem as I could. My wife prayed as well on her own. [br>[br>When I was taking the antibiotics, I thought the problem was going away. The smell did go away, but not completely; The smell was more manageable, but unpredictable. I started to use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse; sometimes with a half cap of Peroxide. It helped a little, but I had to do it often. Then I got word of a product called AYR Sinus Gel. It's used to keep the nasal passage moist. As I understand it, when the nasal passage gets dry, coupled with infected mucus makes a smelly day. I also use Maximum Strength Mucinex D — 1200mg guaigenesin & 120mg pseudoephedrine HCL. [br>[br>(About 10 days ago"026 I prayed again that morning; being very specific and not feeling to confident about my day. I went too work, completed my day. I treated my symptoms with the Rinse, Peroxide and nasal gel"026 as I did every morning, sometimes twice a day. And then I caught a cold. In this case a cold was a good thing. The cold forced me to blow my nose so much I generated a bag and ? full of used tissue; over the course of the cold. I was constantly discharging the infected mucus from my nose and spitting mucus from my throat. This went on for about 5 days. At the end of the 7th day the smell was GONE. I THANKED GOD. The sequence of days went like this. ( I caught a cold on a Friday. I was coughing over the week end. We had a snow storm Sunday night. I was off work / snowed in for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and went back to work on Thursday. I wasn't 100% on Thursday. But by Friday I didn't smell the same odor. I didn't really smell any odor.) I told myself and made a promise to GOD that if this smell is gone, I would reply back to this blog and explain my ordeal so others would have Hope and read how my problem was resolved. [br>[br>I didn't want to enter the blog until I was certain, because I've had the issue for about a year. I waited for 7 more days"026 until January 21st, 2010 to enter this blog. This medical blog is the resource I used to research my symptoms when I was looking for clues to my sinus problem. I read some horrible stories and understood the stress people were going through. [br>[br>So in summary"026 Prayer in Jesus Christ's name was my cure and the cold was my Blessing"026 Today I only use the sinus rinse because it's a good way to clean the nasal passage, I use the nasal gel in the morning to avoid any nasal dryness; along with Maximum Strength Mucinex D. I use these products only once a day and I have no odor coming from my nasal passages"026 I really do not need to take these meds for chronic sinusitis"026 I only take these meds for good hygiene and as a precaution

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.