Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sinus infection
melync posted:
Two weeks ago I visited my dr for a sinus infection..had classic symptoms..facial/upper teeth pain..stuffy nose with thick yellow green mucus..earaches..and a night time cough. I was given a 10 day course of Augmentin. I finished the course of antibiotics with no improvement..in fact I felt worse. Monday I returned to the office and was given a shot and a z pack.

Fast forward to today. I can finally breathe through my nose again..but aside from that I do not feel any better. I have a bad headache over my right eye in the forehead area and severe pain when I sneeze or blow my nose..along with a loud squealing sound from my sinuses,

Should I see the doctor again? Or just continue to wait it out and hope for some relief? Any suggestions on how to relieve the pain? I have tried over the counter pain medicine and hot compresses. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if it's relevant but I am a type 2 diabetic on insulin.

Thank you for your attention.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Having diabetes (I assume you are in control) is a factor. Diabetes by nature are immunocompromised and tend to take longer to heal. With that said, I should tell you that I am periodically plagued by sinusitis. Several years ago, I had to remain on antibiotics for 12 weeks in order to get a handle on my infection (under the care of my own ENT, so I wasn't treating myself). Sinusitis can be a bummer to treat in some people because the blood supply (the only transport for the antibiotics) into bony areas (the sinuses) is not very good.

What kind of "shot" did you get? What was the original dose of your Augmentin? The reason why I ask is that many medical providers tend to undertreat sinusitis with short courses (I treat them for a minimum of 15 days just to start), or with weaker doses.

I suspect you still have sinusitis. This can be proven by a sinus CT scan, but many medical providers will continue to treat them based on symptoms and exam findings. Yes, you should see your doctor again, or at least call him/her for patient-specific advise.

For the pain: Anti-inflammatories are best; taken at a maximum dose, assuming you can medically use them. Of course, your doctor can provide you with prescription pain medications if you need them. The hot compresses are fine. Personally, I am not a fan of sinus washes, but many people get relief from them, or by using the Neti Pot. Another prescription medication that is used would be nasal corticosteroids.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.