Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
sore throat
kostka_j posted:
My entire household has been fighting a flu/sore throat for almost a week now. This morning I woke w/ a scratchy feeling in the back of my own throat and was wondering what some home remedies may be...also I've heard that you can dillute either hydrogene peroxide or rubbing alcohol w/ water and gargle, any truth to these "remedies"? Thanks in advance

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kostka,

I hope you all start feeling better soon. Click on the following for some ideas which may help:

Sore throat - Home Treatment
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
No rubbing alcohol! Isoprophol alcohol is poison! And, as far as the hydrogen peroxide is concerned, I would not recommend that either.

You can try the following:
  • Gargle with warm saline (1/4 tsp of salt to 8 oz of water)
  • Anti-inflammatory medications, like ibuprofen will help
If your sore throat lasts longer than 3-4 days, it would be good for you to be professionally examined....to make sure that you do not have Strep or other treatable causes.

MissRUL responded:
Please don't even consider using rubbing alcohol, even diluted. It's considered a poison. Warm salt water gargles are excellent. A cup of warm tea with honey & lemon is also helpful. If you add a drop of whiskey, you're on your way to a hot toddy, something my Grandma swore by. You could also try a neti pot. Good luck and good health.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to MissRUL's response:
Tea with honey and lemon is a good suggestion. Most people who decide to add whiskey will use a bit more than a drop.....

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.