Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Neti Pot & Sleep Apnea Humidifiers
apelaez posted:
I recently read an article in CNN of users of Neti pots using lukewarm tap water being infected by Ameoba through the nose. My question is am I susceptible to the same infection if I fill my sleep apnea humidifier water chamber with tap water? Should I be using distilled water?

Thank you.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
If you live in an area of unpure water, you will most likely know about it because of ameobic dysentary. There is nothing wrong with using bottled distilled water if you desire, but if your tap water is safe to drink, it is safe to use in a Neti Pot or humidifier. If your apnea humidifier has a specific recommendation to use distilled water, than do so.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I appreciate you asking this question, Apelaez, and Dr. Moser's response.

For anyone interested in reading more of this breaking story, click on the following link:

Brain-eating Amoeba in Neti Pots
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.