Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Doxycycline hyclate for an ear infection?
str8shooter26 posted:
I usually get a nice dose of amoxicillin for my ear infection, however since my primary doctor was full up I went to minor med ( in the same offices), and was prescribed doxycyclin hyclate 100 mg. This is odd to me since I told the doc that I usually get amoxicillin and it knocks it right out, usually within a day. He decided since there are many bugs that are resistant to amox. that he would prescribe the dox. This is the second time minor med has prescribed me something other than what I wanted, the first time it was a zpac. I don't have insurance and now I think I may have to get another doc visit to get meds that will work.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
What KIND of ear infection do you have? I agree. Doxycycline is not the drug of choice for a MIDDLE ear infection since it usually does not cover the pathogens that are responsible. I never use doxycline for a middle ear infection, although it is cheap.

str8shooter26 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
when dealing with minor med, the info given to me is what you heard on the first post. The paperwork has a check on the OTITIS MEDIA 382.9 box. I think I will no longer visit Minor Med. There are many other offices that will listen and inform me better to take care of my needs. Everything I have seen about this medication seems to treat VD's. I would be very upset if he saw something in that realm and did not inform me. I just don't know what to think.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to str8shooter26's response:
I don't think you have chlamydia in the ears, so don't stress over it. The vast majority of middle ear infections (otitis media), assuming that you were accurately diagnosed will resolve spontaneously WITHOUT any antibiotics, so while the doxycycline will not likely help; it will not hurt either. I can't second-guess this provider, but perhaps he felt you had bronchitis or sinusitis (as well); in which case, the doxycyline may help.

Many older medical providers (except for me, of course!) practice older using older medicines, so I am guessing that this fellow was not fresh out of medical school.

viewfrommysaddle responded:
its a 4 dollar perscription at wallmart

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to viewfrommysaddle's response:
Of course is it cheap, but doxycycline is not an effective medicine to treat a middle ear infection in anyone. It can help zits....or get rid of chlamydia, and in some cases, even help a bacterial sinusitis....but middle ear infections? It would be near the end of my choices

muhammad123 responded:
doxcycline is amazing for some but ear azithromycin is a comprehensive formula

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.