Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
EARS & MUCUS
tinakep posted:

Im sure you remember me I've been posting for years with same problem. I have been taking Flonase for 5 months now-2 sprays each nostril every night. Still no help-have constant post nasil drip and ears still crackling when swallowing. Should I assume that it should have been working by now-have read that could take several months? As you know, have tried everything-had tests-only thing found is dust mite allergy. I have been on Zoloft and Seroquel because of this problem.

Can I please have your thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I would have expected Flonase to help by now, Tina. Does your doctor have a "next step"? As I have mentioned to you many times in the past, I really have no further suggestions on this chronic, frustrating problem that has been plaguing you for years. I am very sorry....

tinakep replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I go back to ENT in a couple of weeks. I will tell him I've been taking Flonase for 5 months and still no help. He advised Singulair last time also but my DR says it could cause anxiety/sleep problems. I don't want to take a chance with that since I had those problems when all this started.
I see commercials on TV abour Mucinex DM- or Allegra. Could these help?

Thanks

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to tinakep's response:
I don't know, Tina.....you would need to try them to find out, but only do so with your doctor's knowlege and permission. Wait a few weeks and put it on the list of things to ask him....

tinakep replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Another thought: Does having a deviated septum cause problems like this(Post nasil drip and ETD problems?) I know the ENT writes on his noted that I have deviated septum. Also, are you born with deviated septum or can this develop?

Thank you.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to tinakep's response:
No, a deviated septum does not typically cause ETD or post-nasal drainage. It is a structural problem that develops as we age. I do not see them in babies.

Helpful Tips

EAR PROBLEMS
I have had a mild ear ache on and off and recently when I had a cold with runniynose, the ear began to hurt again. The outer ear was also ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.