Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vertigo and driving--of course not during an attack! Dr. M--question??
Yanksgirl posted:
If one has had vertigo does it automatically mean they can't drive?
Since it's so common it's hard to believe one would have to give up driving, unless of course they had multiple attacks that were ongoing and no warning.

I just wondered as I've read differing opinions. I know many who have it, work and drive and continue their lives as usual but just are aware to get to a safe 'stopping area' if they feel an attack coming on.
Certainly a person would have sense not to drive if they have had attacks until they were 'clear for a time'. What are your thoughts on this? I know you have experienced vertigo too. Are you still driving and is it an individual thing always? thanks--

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I cancelled an appointment that week because I had vertigo. It lasted most of the day, so I did not feel comfortable driving, but when I do not have vertigo, driving is not an issue. Mine only happens a few times a year.

You should not drive when you have severe vertigo. If you can't walk, what makes you think you can drive? You do not want to hurt yourself or someone else, so yes, you have to practice good judgment, unless of course, you can afford a chauffeur.

Deach777 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I too get vertigo about three a year. Mostly in sinus season. I don't see anyone driving with an attack. Hey you couldn't get me in a car when an attack happens. If an attack starts coming on while driving one had better get off the road an call someone or the car might get to spinning also. Working during an attack of vertigo is a gamble. 50/50 your going to fall or upchuck. Always get a clinical diagnosis to find your cause of the vertigo, like middle ear problems like me. I would love to have a chauffeur. ~Deach~

Yanksgirl replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks, that is what I'd do too. I never drive when I'm feeling the least bit 'light headed', etc. Since I've only had two events of vertigo--that lasted many days, I don't drive of course then nor for awhile after they have 'gone away'. Just wondered if folks have to 'stop driving' but can't imagine that unless they are having attacks ongoing and/or dizzy all the time.
Folks drive with eye problems, hearing problems, epilepsy (but take meds usually) as do those who have vertigo. Just wondered the general consensus about it. It's an individual thing for sure and hopefully one uses good sense. Vertigo is so common, surely folks drive who have it and just don't take chances until they are sure they are ok. Thanks for the input.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Yanksgirl's response:
The cause of the vertigo is a consideration. For instance, if you were having vertigo because of a brain tumor, driving would be contraindicated and your doctor would be obligated to inform the Department of Motor Vehicles to pull your license. This is done for uncontrolled epilepsy and people who have had lapses of consciousness.

For the type of vertigo that you have, it is fine to drive when you are "well".

Yanksgirl replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks Dr. Moser---I appreciate your input---and totally agree.
I won't drive until I'm confident I'm 'ok'.
Even my husband says I'm a good driver--so that's a plus! ha
He's even said, eventually I'll be the chauffeur as he has trouble turning his head far enough around due to neck problems and also has had a retinal detachment repair and cataract surgery--which helped his vision but night driving is difficult for him so I sometimes drive at night--depending how far we are traveling--then I drive. So, we are quite active and I just didn't want the problem of not being able to drive come up. Not now anyway--when we're 'really incapable' I hope we have the good sense to say 'stop'. My Mother--who lived to be 100, drove until she was 86 and should have stopped about 2 years earlier but thankfully made the decision on her own.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.