Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Plugged ear and now with debrox!! Help!
KRBronson posted:
I have had ear plugging issues for a couple of years now. It was driving me crazy today so I decided to try Debrox (ear wax removal stuff). Put in the recommended 5 drops tilted my head and now my ear is completely plugged with the solution. I can hardly hear out of my right ear. What do I do to get it out? Please help.

NancyJWT responded:
Did you get a bulb syringe with the Debrox? I get in the shower (or lean over the sink), fill a plastic cup with fairly hot water (to help loosen the wax), and syringe out the ear. NOT putting the syringe IN the ear, just at the entrance to the ear canal and squeeze hard. Repeat until the ear unplugs.

It may not unplug at all until you get it cleaned out professionally. Your doctor's office can do it. That's the best way anyway.

My previous doctor's office told me NOT to use Debrox, as it just dries out the ear or something, and makes it worse. They told me to put regular cooking oil or baby oil in my ear in the evening, lie on my side for 10-15 minutes, then stick cotton in your ear and let the oil sit overnight. Do this two nights in a row and then come into the office for the big cleanout.

I usually have to syringe my ears out in the morning to get the oil out (and probably a little of the wax too), but I can never get it completely clean without professional help. I have to have it done 2-3 times a year now.

Nancy the Earwax Queen!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to NancyJWT's response:
Thank you, Nancy.....your advise as very appropriate

NancyJWT replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you, Dr. Moser... I am, after all, the Earwax Queen! I've learned how to avoid the epic battles my poor doctors used to have with my earwax plugs. The key is, soften it up at home for a day or two with oil, lie patiently on your side a long time and shift your head a bit until you feel that oil trickling and tickling deep into the ear...then get it professionally syringed out, and enjoy all the newly restored rustling noises, scaring yourself when you flush the toilet the first couple of days, and once again being able to understand speech in noisy or open environments.

Most people do not realize that Debrox only softens wax...it does not remove it. A person can have a partial wax impaction, so when the add the Debrox, it softens and turns it into a complete wax impaction. This is what likely happend to this person.

The warm water lavage is the key. The person must be careful and never irrigate a painful ear, but in most cases is it safe to do this at home.

You are the Ear Wax Queen, although I would not want to see your crown!

NancyJWT replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Ha ha! Re my 'crown"--you've given me a great idea. I'm going to start asking the nurses if I can fish the earwax clumps out of the basin and save them, and when I have enough, I'll sculpt myself an ear made of--earwax!

And--thanks for the Debrox explanation. Now I understand why my ear plugs up even further after my initial home "treatment" of it before I get it fully cleaned out at the doctor's office.

Thanks again for all your responses!

Nancy

That's gross...even for me. Sounds like Shreik? Of course, as the Queen, you can do what you want.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.