Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Strep Question
ISWIM posted:
I have been treated for the past three months now for strep. I had it in December, January, and in February. My doctor has given me antibiotics for it each time. I just finished this course this morning. I asked her why I would be getting it every month and if maybe I am not getting rid of it. She said, "Most likely you are getting rid of it, but you are just picking it up again." I work in a school so it is possible, but 3 months straight of getting strep?? My question is if I get strep again should I look into seeing an ENT or just go back to my primary doctor. Also, the rapid strep test came back positive in December, but in January and February it was negative and the 24 hour strep test came back positive in January and February. Any feedback is welcome and I understand you can't do anything without seeing me, but I am just looking for info about what to do next if I get strep again. I am really hoping I don't though.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
You are very wise to consider the possibility that you are a Strep carrier. The ONLY way to be sure, is to insist on a STREP CULTURE (the rapid tests are not as accurate) at the completion of an appropriate antibiotic course (the correct antibiotic at the correct dose for Strep). If you test NEGATIVE, then you are not a Strep carrier, but are mostly likely becoming re-infected. Perhaps one of your close contacts is a Strep carrier.

If you still have your tonsils (likely), then they may need to come out....this is where Strep loves to live. Another interim solution would be to take a higher dose of anti-Strep antibiotics (like a penicillin injection, followed by oral meds) to see if you can have it eradicated. However, this will not keep you from getting it again....and again....and again.

ISWIM replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for the info! I still have my tonsils. I called my doctor's office since I finished the Augmentin and asked if I could get a strep culture done. My doctor isn't in all week, but the nurse told me it wasn't necessary to do that even after I voiced my concerns. So I will play the waiting game and see what happens in the next couple of weeks. Praying I don't get it again!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to ISWIM's response:
I do not agree with the nurse's advice, since the only way that you can get "proof of cure" and determine if you are a Strep carrier is to get a culture at the end of your antibiotic course.

Guess who has strep again? Or at least I am pretty sure I do. I haven't seen a doctor yet, but I am sure it is.

1. Insist on a Strep test to prove you have it first. Then be treated.....and

2. Insist on a follow-up culture after treatment for proof of cure and to make sure you are not a strep-carrier.

I had a strep test yesterday and the office called back today confirming it was strep. I have antibiotics again. When I went in yesterday I told my doctor that I wanted to be tested when I was done with the antibiotics and she agreed with me. Thanks!

Now...I am not your doctor, but I am pleased you are finally going to get that follow up culture! I will wait to hear the results.

I had a follow up visit and the throat culture came back negative!

Now, you know you are NOT the Strep carrier. You will now need to scrutinize your close friends or co-workers who may be innocently re-infected you. THEY may be the Strep carriers, but I don't know if you will convince the whole lot to be tested.

A few decades ago, I found a family DOG who was the carrier (Duff the Yellow Lab). Once I tested and treated Duff, the parents and the SIX kids with recurrent Strep suddenly got better!

Thanks for everything! Since I am out for a week with a bad wrist sprain I won't be seeing co-workers anytime soon. I am sure co-workers won't get tested. Fiance got tested too to see if he was a carrier and he is not. No pets.

Kissing bandit?

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.