Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Labyrinthitis- will Neti Pot help prevent fluid build up in ear???
kam777 posted:
I started feeling dizzy on Friday morning, May 4. I woke up feeling fine then gradually became dizzier and more light headed through the morning. Went home early from work and vomited when I got home, from the movement in the car. Severe dizziness lasted through Sunday. I basically stayed in bed. Vomitted if I got up and moved around too much. Went to Urgent Care yesterday and basically got diagnosed with Labryrinthitis and am suffering from a form of Vertigo. Doc says that my sinuses are pressured and enflamed, causing fluid build up in my ear, causing Vertigo. I have been prescribed Dexamethasone, Meclizine, Fluticasone, and Claritin D. Today I feel slight relief. The dizziness isn't as severe.

So- this has been miserable. I feel fine except for this ridiculous dizziness. I of course want to prevent this from occurring again. If I use a neti pot to clear out my sinuses, can this in turn aid in preventing fluid build up in my ears? Doesn't that all go hand in hand? I know there are no guarantees but if it COULD help in prevention then I am all for it.

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Some clarification....

First, labyrinthitis is usually a viral illness of the INNER EAR. It would have nothing to do with your sinuses, other than the fact that viruses cause most sinus infections and can ALSO cause labyrinthitis. Labyrinthitis, assuming you were diagnosed correctly, will last a week or so, but you may potentially have periods of dizziness/vertigo that can occur off and on for a year or more. Don't worry....most of the time, it goes away sooner.

Second, a sinus infection could affect the MIDDLE EAR and Eustachian tubes. A neti pot could help your sinuses, but it will not cause any beneficial effect in your INNER EAR. If you have "fluid build up", it would only be helpful in the middle ear. Fluid in the inner ear will not be improved.

The medicines that were prescribed to you may help both a middle and an inner ear problem, so perhaps the urgent care medical provider wanted to cover BOTH bases, just in case.

Viral infections self-resolve over time, but it is not possible to predict when this will happen. The body's immune system cures most human afflictions.

kam777 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you!
It is probably just me misunderstanding what the urgent care doctor told me and what I have read online. It's a lot to take in when your head is heavy and dizzy.

What I do know is that I am suffering from vertigo due to inflamed sinuses and fluid in the ear- perhaps he said middle ear, not inner, or like you said- he wanted to cover both. I will review the paperwork he gave me and call him if needed.

I was just hoping something in the way of using a neti pot to keep my sinuses clear could help to potentially prevent this fluid build up again. This dizziness is so severe and frustrating that I would do anything to prevent it from happening if I can!

Thank you again for your time!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to kam777's response:
Try it if you want....it really can't hurt anything.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.