Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Post nasal drip?
nic14120 posted:
Hello:) I havr an appt set up for 6/4 with an ENT i have seen before. I am getting worries to my symptoms and was wondering if you could help. Almost a month ago I camr down with a viral paryngitis. Went to the dr day one of a fever and horrible sore throat. In a 10 day period I went through every issue between cold symtpoms to ear achea and laryngitis. I felt better, but I have atill been having a sporadic cough. It feels like i am constantly swallowing things down my throat, and then my body coughing to tey to expell it. It is really annoying. Lately as well I have been having issues where one to tonsil will feel swollen an hurt, and it alternates and looks red. I dont havr any symptoms of a cold, and am not stuffy or runny. I dont have any known allergies. Can one have chronic pnd, reaulting in a cough, and tonsil discomfort?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
One of the most common causes of prolonged post-nasal drainage would be sinusitis. When you lie down at night, your sinuses can drain down the back of your throat, resulting in sore tonsils, and creating a cough. Allergies, even if you have never been diagnosed with them in the past, is another possibility.

Obviously, the ENT will be able to diagnose you after a thorough exam. Sinusitis, depending on the suspected cause, may be treated with antibiotics, steroids, or a combination of the two. Since it is going to be two more weeks before you get to the ENT, there is even the possibility that you may be better by that time.

Increasing your humidity (humidifer), drinking lots of fluids, taking a decongestant during the early part of the day, and following with an antihistamine near bedtime may help to improve your symptoms.

Sinusgal replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Following balloon sinuplasty for minor right maxillary sinus inflammation, how long should it take for post nasal drip to stop?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Sinusgal's response:
Impossible to know.....every person is different and there are many different causes and degrees of post-nasal drainage.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.