blood draining from ear..
juleen_78 posted:
My 22mo. old son had tubes put in his ears june of 2008. Friday his right ear began draining (which means they were doing their job) and he was diagnosed with bronchitis. The dr looked at his ears. Just said they were fine and draining (the obvious) and put him on Axithromycin. Saturday I noticed blood draining out of his right ear. I called the emergency nurse and she stated that if it doesn't stop in 24hrs, to bring him in. She said sometimes the antibiotic would cause the bleeding. I have NEVER hear of this side effect. Just at the 24 hr marker, he ear stopped bleeding and the drainage is coming to a hault. Now it's just waxy. Yuk. Am I making a mistake not taking him in? Could the tube of dislodged and pierced his eardrum? Is it really common for antibiotics to do that with a child with tubes in? I don't want to wait much longer. Thanks!!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
No...antibiotics do NOT cause the ear to bleed...ever. That was incorrect information.

But...it is relatively common for a child with tubes to have a bloody or mucous drainage, especially when they have an ear infection. This is usually no more serious that blood-tinged nasal mucous when you have a bad cold. He most likely has an ear infection, one that is self-correcting because he has tubes. If your ENT gave him any special antibiotic eardrops (many will do this anticipating these things) , it would be okay to use them (if they are nto expired).

Tubes can extracate (fall out) at any time, and yes, this may cause bleeding. The tube will not pierce the eardrum...the eardrum is already pierced (by the tube). Unless you have a home otoscope to look inside the ears to check if the tubes are in place or fallen out, you will need to take him to see his medical provider. This is not an emergency, however. If the tube extracated...it extracated. Those things happen...eventually...to all children with tubes. The fact that he has improved and is on an antibiotic (for something else) is good....you can just wait until he has another visit and have those tubes checked.

juleen_78 responded:
Thank you soooo much. I have been in panic for the past two days wondering what I should do. My ENT is over an hour away and by appt only. You are the only one who has said anything that has made any sense to me. From what I wrote earlier, you can see why I was so confused as to what to do. Again, thank you for your help and very quick response. I am officially a lover of this site now!!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
You are very welcome....tell your friends.