Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ear drops not draining...
Elkattio posted:
I was prescribed some drops for an ear infection recently. However, when I put the drops in, they will not drain back out after the five minutes that I am supposed to leave them in. Will this cause a problem?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
What KIND of ear drops and for what reason?

Elkattio replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Ofloxacin 0.3% for an ear infection.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Elkattio's response:
Do you have tubes in your ears? Ofloxacin is used to treat a middle ear infection if you have tubes, or an external (swimmer's ear). I don't really know anything about you, your medical history, or your diagnosis, but ofloxacin does not necessarily need to "drain out" to be effective.

Elkattio replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I do not have tubes in my ear but my doctor said that when she looked at my ear drum, it was sucked back on those little bones like saran wrap.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Elkattio's response:
Then those tubes are most likely clogged. If the ear drops do not help, they may need to be replaced. However, if those drops are not coming out, at least a tiny amount, may be the tube is opened now. Without a hands-on examination, I do not know.

When you insert your eardrops, please warm them up to body temperature in your hand FIRST, then after the drops are instilled, pump the tragus of your ear several times to try and force some of those drops through the tubes.

Make sure to have a follow up appointment with your ENT.

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.