Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sinus infection with no symptoms?
kroz12 posted:
my story begins in january 2008 when i got a terrible cold. After 3 weeks of it not going away- i made an apointment with my doctor and she prescribed antibiotics for a sinus infection. Finally after they were all gone- i felt better but i still had pressure in my head, around the top of my nose, and into my eyes. sometimes, the pressure would get so bad that I'd get headaches-which i handled with tylenol. also, i couldn't wear my contacts anymore with all of the increased pressure in my eyes. I went to the eye doctor and he gave me steriod drops and nothing helped. my eyes would turn bright red everytime I put the contacts in. after 2 months- i finally had enough. i went in to the doctor again and had a ct scan. It turns out that i had a sinus infection for 3 months. I was given more antibiotics. they didn't work. they gave me something different. that didn't work either. After 6 ct scans and 7 different antibiotics, the sinus infection finally cleared up. I had had the sinus infection for a total of 6 1/2 months.

Now here's my problem: My contacts make my eyes red again exactly like before. but I have no symptoms of a sinus infection except for pressure around my nose and eyes. I have no drainage or sore throat and no fever. ( i have gone to the eye doctor many times, but they just say i have pressure in my eyes and give me eye drops that do nothing for me.)

So- i'm trying to ask if it's possible that this might be another sinus infection. I get headaches freaquently from this pressure in my head. I just feel weird going to the doctor without any other symptoms. Is this something that should be looked into or should i let it go? Is it even possible to have sinus infections without symptoms?

Also, i started having problems with this after my wisdom teeth were taken out... and one of them was close to my sinus. Is it possible that this could be a factor?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
There are various degrees of sinus infections (and pressure), so yes, it is possible to have a chronic form of sinusitis. Additionally, there is some association with wisdom teeth issues with maxillary sinusitis (the sinuses located below your eyes). As you know, I have no way of examining you to determine if your sinuses are problematic or not, so I would strongly suggest that you see your primary care doctor or ENT for a careful examination...don't worry about it being "nothing". It is best to be sure.

I am concerned about your eyes -- not my area of expertise. Have you seen an ophthalmologist (not the optometrist)? There are also sinuses on each side of the eyes (sphenoids). Since I cannot see the CT scans, you will need to let your doctor determine if these could be involved.

kroz12 responded:
Well, after almost two weeks of antibiotics for a sinus infection...I'm off to see an ENT...my primary care doctor can't figure out why I don't have any symptoms besides the headache and the pressure. Now my ears feel plugged too. Is there anything I can take or do that will relieve the constant headache and the "plugged" feeling in my ears? Nothing is working anymore for my headache and it makes it hard to pay attention in classes. Also...is it possible to get dizziness from a sinus infection?

Overall- thanks for your help. I'm glad that I went to get checked out and even though I'm feeling worse than before...I'm sure this will all be taken care of soon.

Rod_Moser_PA_PhD responded:
I don't know enough about you or your case to recommend any specific over-the-counter medications for your sinus pressure or headaches, but your primary care medical provider can certain prescribe something for you while you are waiting to see the ENT.

Yes, sinusitis can cause dizziness...but so can a few hundred other things, so your ENT will need to determine a specific reason. A person can have more than one medical problem going on at the same time.

I am sorry that you are feeling worse, but pleased that you are seeing the ENT soon.

ScorpioAD responded:
Hi, I am experiencing the same symptoms that you were describing. The key difference is that I am now hearing a slight hissing sound in my head which just started ten days ago. Did you ever hear any type of tinnitus associated with your condition? Did you condition clear up? What antibiotic was prescribed? Thank you

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.