Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ear infection and Tinnitus
Carina93 posted:
On Tuesday I got to go to an ENT. I got a hearing test done and everything is just fine on that front. He said that it looks like I'm coming off the tail end of an ear infection. He said that he couldn't get my eardrum to move indicating that there is still fluid in my ears. Also that my eardrum looked red and angry lol. He scheduled me for another appointment in a month is check up on everything. Overall he said that there was a very good chance that all of this will go away in time. He said to rest up and I took him up on the offer of getting some doxycycline pills to help along the ear.

I'm not too sure if anything is getting better. I try and tell myself to wait and be patient, who knows it may all go away and if not..it will be ok. Last night I'd like to think my tinnitus got super low or maybe I was just so sleepy that I didn't care. But my ears do feel like they have less pressure in them. My right ear almost feels completely better and I dont really sense the ringing is coming from that ear anymore. My left ear still as the ringing and feels stuffed and today its been going up and down in noise level which worries me a bit.

I just get worried cause I've never read anyone getting rid of their tinnitus that was caused by an ear infection and I worry how it will affect my future and when I go back to school this fall.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
No, tinnitus that is caused by a middle ear infection will almost always resolve once the infection has been cured, and the inflammation (takes several weeks longer) has dimiinished. Tinnitus caused by INNER EAR infections, for instance, and central nervous system problems (brain), may last forever.

Trust your ENT. There is a very good chance all of this will resolve in several more weeks. Hang in there....

Carina93 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you Dr Its almost been a whole month since the ear infection and Tinnitus started and a lot people have said my chances are good.

They gave me a lot of stuff to help treat it like augmentin, Neomycin, Polymyxin B, and Hydrocortisone drops, some other really expensive drops and now doxycycline pills which I will finish tomorrow.

My question is how would they know that I didn't have a inner ear infection. I wasn't dizzy and I had 2 days of nasusa and that was it.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Carina93's response:
Inner ear infections are only diagnosed clinically....by signs and symptoms. A medical provider can SEE a middle ear infection, but you can't see the inner ear. Since most inner ear infections are viral and self-limiting, it will go away on its own. The fact that you only were bothered for a few days implies that it may be a minor infection. The antibiotics or ear drops will do ntohing for an inner ear problem, but if you get 100% better, it really doesn't matter.

Carina93 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
thank you again for the advice. it has now been 5 weeks over and not much as changed sadly. the cracking in my ears wheb i sallow actually went away foe 2 days in my left ear but it cam back. which ear has th cracking now changes but it doesnt seem as bad as before. i dint tell you my early symptoms but i has some post nasal drip and a sore thorat before i got the ear infections if that means anything. i guess my only opion is to wait but do you think i still have a good chance of this resolving? i understand that it may never go and i ill have to live with it.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Carina93's response:
You are more likely to improve over time, than to have a permanent problem. As you may know, this is not something that I could predict.

EarRing replied to Carina93's response:
Hi Carnia,

Did the tinnitus ever went away?

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.