Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is it normal to cough up bloody mucus when recovering from strep?
An_246391 posted:
Hello,
I'm a twenty two year old female with no medical history. I was diagnosed with strep throat this past Saturday. I've been taking penicillin and my throat, plus my fever/aches, has subsided. Last night, it was difficult to breathe through my nose and I felt a lot of mucus at the back of my throat. When I coughed up the mucus, it was bloody. Since last night, there has been no more mucus. My concern now is that every time I stand, I have an intense headache for a few seconds. This has been going on since last night. I also have a stiff neck, but that could be because I've been propping my head up with pillows and have been like this since last Thursday. My posture has been adversely affected by all this bed rest. Should I go back to my physician to see what's up? Also--can strep throat be a symptom of a larger issue? I made the mistake of babysitting for a woman who was very sick. She said she had the flu(I should have ran as soon as I heard that one!) but I found out later that she hadn't seen a doctor and wasn't properly diagnosed. It's great that I know I have strep as I can help myself, but now I'm worried that she had a different illness. It's very frustrating knowing that she put not only me at risk, but her two young children under 6.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
It is never normal to cough up blood, Strep or not, but it is not unusual. The throat and nasopharynx is highly vascular and will bleed when irritated. Strep causes a lot of irriation.

As far as your concern that you may have contacted "something else", I cannot help you since I have no way of examining you and making a diagnosis over the Internet. I also cannot determine if your stiff neck is muscular strain, like you assume.

Obviously, if the throat improves and you are no longer having blood-tinged mucous, that would be great. If it continues, or if you are having continuing or new symptoms related to your current illness, you will need to address those first-hand with your medical provider -- someone that knows you, your medical history, and someone who has the ability to examine you and order diagnostic tests if needed.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.