Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. M: MRI results show 'acute mastoiditis'! Now I'm really concerned!
yanksgirl posted:
My MRI results just got to my primary today, that I had last Tues. at a local hospital near me.
It said 'no lesions or blockages in brain, but an 'acute mastoiditis' is the diagnosis and my internist said to forward that to my ent doctor and they did. I just called the office to be sure it got seen 'today' and am waiting a call back.
Could this have been caused by the shunt insertion or could it have been present all along and causing this awful pressure and inability to be up and about without feeling like I might 'faint'? I've attributed it all to Meniere's and lately to the surgery--but could this have been going on too? The ent doctor said I might have an underlying condition and thought it was an excellent idea to have an MRI--so my internist ordered it--w/dye!
I'm reading on Web MD where it needs antibiotic treatment right away and sometimes surgery. And sometimes a 'spinal tap' but I'm on a blood thinner and couldn't have either for awhile. From what I'm reading this can be quite serious if not treated quickly. What do you think of all this? Anxious to hear your opinion. thanks. yanksgirl

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Yes, it can be serious. There can be many causes, but often this is the result of an middle ear infection. I really dont know how this happened in your case, but a diagnosis is GOOD. Now, your ENT has to find the appropriate treatment. Anitibiotics may be first....surgery is last.

Please forgive my brevity. I can barely see the small type on the tiny computer I am using!

yanksgirl replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for you quick reply--guess what--I didn't get a call back from my Ent yesterday and the fax was there by noon or a bit after. I had called the office to alert them it was coming and the office girl said, "I'm taking it off the fax now and putting it with the other papers for them to look at'. I know he was in, because I said---'he's in surgery today isn't he?' and she said 'no, he's here'! So, I was so anxious after reading how quickly this needs to be addressed and how it can cause serious problems throughout the body if not addressed. My mind was racing thinking of all the things I've gone through--following surgery--the staph surgery--the infection around the back of the ear--the upper resp. infecton--all sending me to the E.R. and lately this 'shakiness that's going on' my hands shake and even my head--and of course the daily not being in an upright position without being very uncomfortable due to lightheadedness. Could all this be due to the 'acute mastoiditis'? I'm waiting now for a call and if I don't get one by 9:00 will be calling him 'again'! I'm really worried as you can tell. Hope your vacation is a 'relaxing one'. Again thanks for the quick answer--I checked first thing this morning. yanksgirl

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to yanksgirl's response:
Think of mastoiditis as another type of sinusitis....and you can effectively treat it with antibiotics; perhaps a longer course and a strong one, but not all mastoiditis is serious. In the past, it was more problematic because the selection of antibiotics were not very good. We used to do a lot of mastoid surgeries in the 70's.

Tying in the mastoiditis with your vertigo is something your doctor must consider, for sure.

Let me know what he says.....and don't freak out!

Actually, you're a bit late--I already (inside) freaked out! No, not really! But did have a little 'crying time' awhile ago.
The office called--his nurse and said this is just part of the surgery healing process and nothing to be concerned about. I told her about the Radiologist putting me back in the MRI and saying to look 'deeper into the ear' and that since I've felt so awful, not feeling well if I'm upright any length of time and just not doing well at all, that perhaps this was the reason. I also told her I had done some research and read where this needs to be treated right away with antibiotics as it can even cause problems in other parts of the body. She listened, said--I'll tell him all this and get back to you. About 3 hours later--she called (in the meantime I'm really getting more antsy) and said he still said this is of 'no concern', just part of the post op healing process of the surgery. It's been 4 mos. now. Remember he told me last visit 12 to 18 mos. So, now I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for that much longer and honestly had hoped for antibiotics or even surgery if need be to get the help I feel I need. So--now it's a wait and see once again. I should be relieved, but actually, I am not--at least not yet! So--I had to laugh when you said--'don't freak out'! yanksgirl That was my 'uplift for the day'! Thanks

Sometimes we have to freak out sometimes, just so we can feel better when we get news that is better than we expected.

I guess we will be discussing these things from now to 18 months from now. God willing, I will be here to help you along the way.

You're so right --'God willing'! You can be sure you'll be hearing from me--doesn't that 'make your day?' thanks yanksgirl

A day without Yanksgirl is a day without sunshine.....

Helpful Tips

Ear and allergies
For what it's worth, my brother has been getting allergy shots for a year and the ringing in his ears has stopped..... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.