Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hearing after ear tubes
sgthappy73 posted:
Hello doctor,
Sorry to keep bothering you but I thought of another question.....when I initially went to my dr. he said I had fluid in both ears. I had 3 options...I could wait for it to drain on its own (it had already been a month), I could have him pierce my eardrum with a needle and have him suction both ears out right there in the office ( that just didn't sound like a good idea at the time) or go in and have him knock me out, drain my ears and put tubes in.Regretfully I chose the tubes. Heres my question...when I see him on Monday I'm sure he will check my ears. IF he tells me my ears are clear of fluid and are not infected, the tubes did their job, so would it be possible to have them removed to begin the healing process. I understand that keeping them in if need be would be the proper choice but if I don't need them the sooner there out the sooner the holes repair themselves and the muffled noises in my head will stop. By the way I can't begin to tell you how helpful you and all the "patients" on this site have been during this event. Thanks again......

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Please try and keep all of our postings in the same string. I don't have a chart on you, so I have to search through all of the postings to find out what we have been discussing. I do not like to rely on my variable memory.

If the tubes are working, why would you want them out? As soon as the hole (from the tubes) heal, there is a good chance your ear will fill up with fluid again....and again. I think it is a good idea to leave them in place for a while and give that ear a better chance of healing. I don't know the specifics of your case, but I can't see an event where taking the tubes out prematurely would be beneficial to you in the long-run. Tubes do not "cure" anything, they are part of a long-term solution in making sure that (a) your middle ear is filled with air, not fluid, and (b) the pressure in your middle ear space remains equalized with the outside atmosphere. If your ears re-fill, you can be assured that the muffled noise will be back, not improved.

Obviously, you will be discussing this with your ENT -- someone more familiar with your case -- so I would be interested in what he or she has to say about your issue.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.