Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Middle ear infection anf tinnitus
fairy79 posted:
Hello everyone. My problem started on 1st of August when I had pain in my left ear. I took some ear drops and some pain relief but by night I had fever so I went to the emergency room where they gave me amoxicillin and oxucodone (I didnt take that. I thought it was too much). I continiued with amoxicillin and ibuprofen. Eventually the pain went away along with the fever. By August 4rth and while I was feeling better I realised a small ringning in my left ear. I went to an ENT and he told me that indeed I had a middle ear infection, he cleaned my ears changed my ear drops and told me to keep taking everything untill the infection clears up. About the ringing he told me that it will go away. After a week I returned to the doctor. No infection any more but still some sensation of blocked ears espacially when I moved. He told me there was Eustachian tube dysfunction and gave me two nasal sprays (Avamys) to use for the next 4 weeks. In the mean time I had a long flight (actually two). I took all the measures I could and had no problem at all with the flights. Now 28th of August the ringing is still there ( I can only hear it when i close my ears or in my pillow) along with some hissing in both ears (like a tv) that sometimes go up. No problem in sleeping. The strang think is that the ringing is a bit louder in my healty ear. I still feel some pain for a few seconds in both ears and sometimes pressure in my left ear (the one that originally had the infection). I did some hearing test. No problems found there. (I wonder if there are more extensive hearig tests than that). My eardrums seem fine. And that is pretty much it. I really wonder if there is actually chance for the ringing and hissing to resolve after almost three weeks already. Thank you very much in advance for your answer.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I really have no way of answering that important question, based solely on the information in your posting. Since I do not known the specific details of your case or have the ability to examine your ears first-hand, I will have to defer to the ENTs judgement -- someone who can examine you and someone that does know your case.

Tinnitus is a very complicated symptom that can be caused by many things, not just a middle ear infection. The prognosis of tinnitus is never predictable, so there is really no way for anyone to know if your tinnitus will finally resolve. It has only been three weeks, so don't give up hope.

fairy79 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thank you doctor very much. I realise that we can never really tell. My ENT said that "it should go away". I just wait and hope.

You said that tinnitus can be caused by many things, not just a middle ear infection. So you think that even though the symptoms appeared during the course of middle ear infection that this might not be the true cause?

Do you think I should go to further research for the cause?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to fairy79's response:
The most likely cause was the middle ear infection, assuming you were correctly diagnosed. There is no need to investigate other possibilities unless you fail to improve over time. Sadly, if your tinnitus does not resolve in your own acceptable timeline, there may be little that can be done to "cure' this aberrant noise. Be patient. Every person is different....every ear infection is different...and healing is an individual process. Just go on with your life and trust that your body doesn't particularly like the tinnitus either, so quietly in the microscopic background, efforts are being made to repair the damage and inflammation.

Again thank you doctor. Just one more question. As a said in my first message. I have a very low sound that I can only hear on my pillow and mostly when I close my ears (I think when I do that I get another little sound too lately...) and a hissing that I can hear in very quiet enviroments. Now, I have noticed that once or twice that i have been on a bar with music this hissing becomes a little bit mor intense, more "toxic" sound. And I am not talking about music loud but where i didnt have t shout to be heard. (Not club like music).
Should I avoid places like that at least for now?

And another think. I still have pressure in my left ear. I might even know when it gets a little worse without even hear it, just because I feel the pressure and some pain. Do you think I shoud go to the doctor again? Is this caused by the eustachian tube? The pressure lasts for a while everytime. Should I worry about it? Thank you again!

fairy79 replied to fairy79's response:
I shoud say that ear pressure is more intense now than before.

If your ear pressure seems more intense, then YES, but all means...see your medical provider or an ENT again. Things in the body can rapidly change, so it is not uncommon for mild conditions to worsen over time.

It makes sense to avoid situations that seem to exacerbate your symptoms.

Doctor thank you again! The ear pressure seems to go away. I tried a new ENT doctor, actually a neuro-ENT doctor. He did all the tests again (I guess he had more advanced equipment) and his diagnosis is that I have a slight hearing loss in a high frequency that I wouldnt really notice at all, and according to his opinion this little damage was there before as a hereditary condition and the ear infection somehow triggered the tinnitus. He thinks there is possibility of it going away. I dont get the heridary condition though. There is no such condition in my family. What do you think about this diagnosis?

I can't comment on the hereditary condition (there can be many different ones, so I don't know which one he is referring to), but I think that you saw an expert....and had a very thorough evaluation. I don't know his diagnosis...did he give it a name?

The fact that he feels your tinnitus will eventually go away is the good news.

EarRing replied to fairy79's response:
Hi fairy,

Did the tinnitus ever go away?

fairy79 replied to EarRing's response:
EarRing, after 5 months the problem is still there BUT, I say BUT, it is a lot better! Initially I had 2 sounds. A hissing and a ringing, low sounds, and the ringing i could hear only when i closed my ears or in really silent enviroment. Now most of the time when I search for it is undetectable. As for the hissing there have been days that it is even hard to detect. Some other times is a really soothing hissing... So there is improvement there too. As you can see at least in my case things go better even though really slow... of course I am really careful with my ears, not crazy, just careful. As Mr. Moser says, every case is different. I never came back to write because things got better when I stopped woring so much about it. I hope it turns out well for you too!

EarRing replied to fairy79's response:
Thanks Fairy!

It's nice of you to reply...it's good to know it would improve over time..My tinnitus is a very loud ringing. Im hoping it would go away. Been a very rough week, sleep wise.. just constantly worrying about it. Good luck to you, hope It ALL goes away!

fairy79 replied to EarRing's response:
EarRing, I competely understand you. This thing can be really scary. As Mr Moser told me, our body tries to fight it. I set my mind on that. I try to be calm about it and think and believe that is healing. Even slowly... Trust that your psycological immune system will take over and help you heal.

All the best for you.

EarRing replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Is Tinnitus hereditary Dr Moser?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to EarRing's response:
A few forms (causes) of tinnitus can run in families, but most do not. My older brother and I both have tinnitus, but as far as I know, no one else in our family ever did.

Tinnitus is a symptom, not a disease, so there can be hundreds of different causes. People with Menieres disease tend to have tinnitus, and this one example of a cause that can run in families.

Helpful Tips

Sharp pain in left ear lob cartiliage
After the last 24 hours of excruciating pain and having tried Tylenol Regular and Sinus and heating pads, this morning I took Aleve as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.