Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. M: Just 'checking in'
yanksgirl posted:
Hope today is better for you and your shoulder is getting a bit stronger. Don't get discouraged, it very well could take a few more months.
Are you going to therapy still? My hubby is for his back--just started, reluctantly--LOL
As for me, my head pressure that no one has answers for has been especially bad--just goes from mild to really making me feel like I need to 'sit back' or I'll fall back!
I did see a therapist for the first time and do like her. She's suggested two books to help with anxiety and depression that she thinks will help me with all I'm dealing with--and the Meniere's symptoms too. Though she certainly couldn't say it would make the head pressure 'go away', just help me 'cope better'. Sure hope the books help. They have Cognitive therapy techniques in them she said for me to do. So, we'll see. She also said for me to 'for awhile' not to look at 'forums' or do medical research 'online'! I agreed but did explain to her that I have a layman's education on medical things and that I research and read with an 'inquiring' mind, not a gullible one--not those words, but did say I get encouragement and help at times and other times it's depressing and I stay off the forum--the Meniere's one-- awhile. Still, only those who have this truly understand. I'll follow her advise since I'm asking her help though---and see if it helps. She said I may never be 'rid' of this head pressure thing. But hopefully, we can get me to a point of dealing with it better. Either with or without meds. Preferable without. I surely hope so. I'm keeping busy and she said that's important. Some days though--you just can't as I'm not working, and you can't 'go' all the time and reading is something I do off and on and watch TV--keep up with the house and etc. Only so much 'busy-ness' one can do! Then you just 'deal' with it. Take care and I'll talk to you soon. yanksgirl :_

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Thank you for checking in....

I look at my shoulder like you are looking at your Menieres/anxiety issues. At this point, I am not expecting to get better, but if it happens, I will be elated, of course. Had my arm been amputated in an accident, all of the hope and prayers would not grow a new one, so you just learn to accept what it is.. Yes, it sucks, but life is not always fair. I can handle the disability, just like you are now learning to do. In perspective, you have a more difficult job than I do, since mine is purely physical. I get to hire people to do the things that I cannot do now, but that would nor work for you.

Attitude is the key. I have not given up, but as a clinician, I know what can be fixed...and what can't be fixed. My surgeon would like to go back in there and dig around some more, but I don't foresee that he will have that opportunity. They say a third time is the "charm", but in my case, two surgeries are enough. I can handle the pain....the limitations. I am not happy about it, but it is what it is. There are certainly worse things that can be thrown in my life's pathway, so this one...I can handle.

yanksgirl replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Well--I certainly do 'hope' you get better and I can understand your not wanting to have surgery yet again.
Hopefully, time will be a 'healer' for you this time. Until then, you are optimistic and keep busy with this board and your work at the clinic so I see you being very 'positive' in your approach.

Thanks for the encouragement and I'll keep you posted and get an update on your progress too. Who knows---we may both be 'well' or at least be 'better' in a few weeks/months ???
yanksgirl

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to yanksgirl's response:
I guess a person should never say never....but right now, the thought of even considering another trip to the OR is far from my mind. I know what I can handle, and if I must, I will handle some pain and a permanent disability (at least it wasn't my right arm/shoulder). I am not sure this old body can handle any more lengthy periods under anesthesia and months of iffy rehab.

No, I am not in PT right now. I think the PT gave up on me, too. My exercise is my work at the clinic, and keeping the home front in order.

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.