Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
White skin like layer came out when flushed ear
An_247841 posted:
I flushed my ears yesterday and today. Yesterday my right ear had a chunk of ear wax that came out attached to what looked like paper or cue tip remnants, but it seemed like a lot. Maybe 1/4th of an inch long, thin but as wide as my ear canal. I kind of assumed it was q-tip remnants and didnt look very closely. Today, I finished my left ear and the same thing happened, about a half inch long, a bit longer, white skin-like thing came out with my ear wax. It was also thin (it looked like a collapsed cylinder) and broke apart very easy when poked with a q-tip. Ive had ear wax problems before but never something as bizarre as this.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
If you keep on using Q-tips you can expect to see this again...and again, maybe even worse....

As you know, since I didn't see this debris, I cannot be sure, but the ear canal is lined with SKIN, and skin does peel off, especially if it is constantly soaked in moisture (sweat, oil, and shower water). Because you have taken off the protective wax coating that protects this skin lining, it can peel off like you had a sunburn.

A few words of advice: Give up the Q-tip habit and allow this protective wax (cerumen) coating to come back and to do it's job.

Barrett86 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
I am still experiencing ear problems. I have not been using any q-tips. I had alot of pressure in my ear after a shower so I used earwax drops and flushed my ear. This time I got a hi-res photo of this problem that is happening in both ears. It's almost like a sack, I had to flush my ears a lot to get it out. Any thoughts?
I

Barrett86 replied to Barrett86's response:

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to Barrett86's response:
Your hi-res photo did not come through, but typically I will not make a comment based on any photograph, I am sorry, but if you are still having ear problems, have you considered seeing a medical provider so that you can be examined first-hand? This is really the only way to get to the bottom of this issue. Incidentally, WebMD health experts are here as educational consultants, but cannot take on the role of your medical provider -- we are prohibited for diagnosing or treating anyone blindly on-line.

Diri4 responded:
I had a similar issue last night. Yours is the only other post on the intenet that I could find that was similar. In my case there were 3 or 4 long paper thin strips of clear, crinkly tissue-like material. Mine were approx 1 1/2" to two inches long. I will post about it separately.

Diri4 responded:
My ear was plugged for 8 days. On the 4th day I went to urgent care. The nurse practitioner said I had a sinus infection (although my sinuses were not blocked or bothering me at all), and gave me antibiotics. After four days of antibiotics it still didn't clear. I put hydrogen peroxide in my ear, and flushed with a bulb syringe and warm water. Three or four long, 1 & 1/2" to 2" strips of a thin, clear, papery, tissue-like substance, slightly orangish in color, with fine skin-like lines on them, and one tiny pink rice shaped substance with what looked like a blood vessel in it came out. What are these? I have clear close up photos if needed.58, Female, HealthyNote: I do not use q-tips in my ears. I use a washcloth to clean the outer part of my ear.

Diri4 replied to Diri4's response:
Uploading links to photos does not seem to work here. Another note: I can't get an appointment with an ENT for over 6-8 weeks. I have tried several. I was just hoping for some sort of answer as I will worry until I get to see a Dr.

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.