Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Hydrops
jearfull posted:
I was diagnosed about a year ago. I was given a diet to follow and a diuretic. I stuck to it faithfully and took my pills as directed. Six months later nothing seemed to changed so I just gave up. That worked much better. Now after a period of normal it just starts back up. Some things that I think triggers it are:
Buildings with positive air pressure systems.
Certain motors like street sweepers. Seems to be a frequency thing.
Loud noise and some appliances. Restaurants are bothersome.
Peanut butter.
My ears are stuffed up and my throat feels constricted. I can't find any info about the throat constriction but the stuffinuss and throat are always together. Almost like a sore throat. Ringing in my left ear and diminished hearing more so in the left ear.
I spent this summer in the mountains of Colorado. A small cabin at 7,500 feet altitude and very remote where most of the noise came from birds. I had 2 1/2 months of wonderful relief. I only had problems when I had to go shopping or out to eat. Suddenly it started up again. Phoey!

I have reflux from time to time and there seems to be a relationship. I do not seem to have reflux without hydrops. It always goes away at night. Sometimes before I go to bed. Ironicly after all food is out of my system. I wake up feeling fine until about lunch time and it will start up and gradually worsten until about 10pm.

Does anyone have similar symptoms?

Stroft responded:
I was diagnosed with hydrops / meneires about 4 years ago after a couple episodes of extreme vertigo and hearing loss on my left side. I just lived with it until this past summer when I had vertigo almost every day. Started taking the meclizine but it made me drowsy. So I researched and came across Ginger Root for motion sickness and Ginko Biloba for head circulation. I now take them every day because it works. I don't know if it's one or the other or both since I started them simultaneously. It's been 2 weeks and I have no symptoms and my hearing has improved. Hope this helps! Best wishes!

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Helpful Tips

Most People with a penicillin allergy can safely take cephalosporinsExpert
Medical providers have always been taught that if you are allergic to penicillin, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 61 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.