Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Throbbing pain in throat, temple and ear
rps19 posted:
Hi there, thank you in advance for any advice you can provide. I am 25 years old, with Hashimoto's disease diagnosed a couple years ago. Thus far my thyroid tests are normal. I have had one sinus infection a few years ago, and have a history of allergies. I had my tonsils removed at age 4, but they grew back last year.

A week and a half ago I started to have a sore throat. I never developed any more symptoms, only my throat progressively got worse. On Monday of last week, I started to have more of a throbbing pain in my throat with very swollen lymph nodes. It got worse each day to the point where it was difficult to swallow, and my lymph nodes were visibly swollen. I emailed my primary care dr. and she suggested I get checked for strep. I went to urgent care that night and it came back negative. The doctor there told me it was simple post-nasal drip. He told me to drink tea, take sudafed and use a neti pot. The idea of the neti pot freaks me out a bit - I have a fear of nasal sprays and putting things in my nose. Sudafed makes me sleepy so I can't take it when I am working. Yesterday my throat seemed to open up. It is no longer painful to swallow per se, but I still have a throbbing pain in the right side of my throat which radiates in my right ear and temple. The appointment was a bit rushed, I guess I was just wondering if you had any other suggestions for self-treatment, and if this diagnosis sounds right? I had never seen this doctor before.

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
Since I have no way of examining you first-hand, or delving more deeply into your medical history, I can't confirm or dispute your diagnosis, but you did say something that worries me.....

Your exam was rushed, and you only have a rapid test for Strep. The only thing that you may be reasonably sure about (the Strep test is not 100% accurate), is what you DON'T have; not what you do have. At your age and with the medical history that you have, it would be good to see your primary care provider or ENT about this. Some blood tests to check your thyroid, check you for mononucleosis, or just a CBC would provide your medical provider with considerably more information as to the possible cause for your symptoms.

Before you consider self-treatment, more effort needs to be done to determine a diagnosis (not a self-diagnosis, either). The fact that this has been going on for 1.5 weeks now is problematic, since most viral infections would have been self-limiting by now.

rps19 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Just wanted to report back on this. I did end up having a CBC and everything was fine. My doctor seemed certain this was musculo-skeletal as I was under a lot of stress at the time and was probably clenching my jaw at night. The pain went away after a few weeks. Thanks for your response!

Rod Moser, PA, PhD replied to rps19's response:
And, you are very welcome. I am glad that you are fine again. Thanks for posting an update.

Have a Healthy Holiday

Helpful Tips

Your Home Black BagExpert
Doctors used to carry black bags containing all the medical tools they would need for a home visit. Of course, that rarely happens anymore. ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 53 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.