Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Tongue Tonsil Infection?
TroyD1980 posted:
Hello,

I have been sick with a soar throat, swolen glands, weakness, and pain in my mouth for about 2.5 months. I also started reacting with pain to anything I eat or drink. I have been to my GP a few times now and have been on courses of Amox TR-K CLV 875/125 and Cipro. These have not seemed to ease the problems...

I then went to an ENT last week who found my tongue tonsils to be extremely infected and swolen. He again wanted me to try the Amox mediation and take pain relievers for the pain...

My concern is what could have caused this infection for such a long time? Someone else suggested Levaquin but my insurance won't cover that - any other suggestions, advice, or anything to help aleviate this constant infection/pain would be appreciated

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I am not sure what a "tongue tonsil" is, but I suspect you are just talking about your tonsils. It is not likely that you have an infection for 2.5 months, or that Levaquin (another antibiotic) would magically cure you.

Has anyone done an EBV panel to check for mono? The mono spot test is not sensitive enough....this test is better. Obviously, I can't diagnose you blindly over the Internet, nor can I treat you, so my suggestion would be for your medical providers to consider other non-bacterial causes for you sore throat. There are many...

Helpful Tips

help
An_251960 pls hv u found a solution? Am currently passing 2thru d same problem. pls help. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.