Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fractured hyoid bone
leitzow posted:
In 1957, when I was almost 15, I was in a serious car accident and was struck across the throat by the back of the front seat (no seatbelts in the car). My hyoid bone was fractured, it perforated my windpipe and esophagus and nearly severed my vocal cords. The damage was not readily apparent and fortunately a doctor that I tried to speak to whisked me off to xray and the damage was confirmed. There was nothing that they could do except watch me in case I needed a tracheotomy. It took quite awhile but I recovered. My voice has never been the same, however. I have never met any other person who has survived this kind of injury.

Featuring Experts

Welcome to WebMD's Ear, Nose, and Throat Community — a site where members help each other. If you have an experience to share or would like ...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

mine feels the same way and im kinda scared that it could be throat cancer but i dont know the doctor said i dont have strep throat but it ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.