Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Nasal Polyps?
8nichole8 posted:
I was wondering if I could have nasal polyps again? History: I had a large polyp removed four years ago when I was seventeen. There was a smaller sized one that was left in there during the surgery, because my doctor felt that it could have been more harmful to remove it than to leave it alone because of where it was placed and the size.

I used to have very frequent ENT sinus infections as a child. I also use to take allergy shots once a week. My tonsils were removed and tubes were placed in my ears four years before the removal of the polyps. Also, another set of tubes during the nasal surgery. After these surgeries there were noticeably less frequent sinusitis complications, soar throats, ear ache, dry cough lasting three months, headaches etc.

In the last month I've had an infection that lasted almost three weeks

These sinus problems seem to continuing more often now. Although, I feel more pressure like a fullness on the right side of my face in the upper cheek, behind and in front of the ear area, to the eye---some fullness feeling there. When I smile, I feel this in the upper cheek under the eye next to the nose.

I have been using a ten day supply of Bactrim DS along with nasal rinse and Flonase. The nasal rinse had cleared out a couple small chunks of mucus. I feel the pressure on my right side, but my left nostril is more clogged. I couldn't get the solution to run out of the right side of my nostril from my left.

Any thoughts?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
My thought is that you need to see an ENT again so you can be carefully diagnosed. You may need some diagnostic tests, like a sinus CT scan.

Could you have another nasal polyp? Sure, but it is going to take that hands-on examination to find it.

8nichole8 replied to Rod Moser, PA, PhD's response:
Thanks for responding : )

Helpful Tips

FAQ Tip #2: Tonsilliths and Cryptic TonsilsExpert
People are often puzzled by white accumulations in their tonsils. Some feel they have Strep, yet they do not really have a red, sore ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.