Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Got a soar throat while taking penicillin.
nicholebrrn posted:
I have been taking penicillin from a tooth ache and after like the 3rd day I developed a sore throat and now I am on day 6 and the sore throat has gotten worse it is swollen and red with very lite white spots and I have still been taking penicillin,salt water garggle and throat lozenges and drops and some ibprofen for the pain I don't have medical insurance and can't afford to go back to the doctor as I just came from them should I just keep doing what I am doing and it will pass or what do you think?

Rod Moser, PA, PhD responded:
I don't know. I have no way of examining you, and I do not know anything about you or your medical history. I can tell you that penicillin does NOT prevent a sore throat. Most sore throats are, indeed, viral, and as you know, antibiotics do not work for viruses. Most viral sore throats improve in about a week.

One virus, however, may require some medical intervention. If your symptoms do not pass...or go away in several more days, you will need to see a medical provider (insurance or not) so you can be properly examined. That virus would be EBV - the virus that causes mono (mononucleosis).

Gargle. Take the ibuprofen and lozenges, but if you are not getting better, you will need to muster up the resources to see a medical professional.

Helpful Tips

Earaches
I had pressure behind the eye and earache, even after using neti pot, suction machine and fluticasone. I found those worked great for ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Focus on Flu

Find answers to your questions about seasonal flu issues and answers to your concerns about the flu season and H1N1...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.